• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Voice Call fading in & out after gingerbread update.. anyone else?

cbo916

Lurker
Mar 20, 2011
I noticed this problem after upgrading my inspire 4g to gingerbread. While on a call, the other person's voice would fade in and out... so it would sound like they would be holding the phone to their ear one second, and the next, at arms length.

Anyone else experience this before or after upgrading to gingerbread? Anyone have any idea if its gingerbread that's causing this? or my carrier, AT&T?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Tmobile said the NEW wifi voice needed a new sim card to work properly.

It improved all my issues. WIfi voice working great.

Make sure you have your home router set to following settings for best voice quality:
Wireless QoS enabled (Quality of Service): Enabled
WWM:Enable
wireless No Acknowledgement: Enabled (you don't want the router to acknowledge or check for minor mistakes on wifi transmits--speeds it up dramatically).

Newer routers should all have QOS settings in them (gamers use them). QOS forces data to always sorta LINE up info so nothing is fragmented. Voices canNOT be sent in fragments (or you get stutter). LIKE quality online live video games or video chats can't be fragmented.
If your router doesn't have QOS, I'd, honestly, buy a newer router. Video, voice, games, multimedia all take advantage of QOS.

Wifi voice UMA settings

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones