• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Voice search

hashmat

Apr 22, 2010
Morning,
How can I conduct voice search without have to turn on Data?At the moment it tells me "connection problem"
In settings I have disabled everything which may need data connection and have green ticks on the following,
people
music,
note everything.
Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Shame to see this hasn't been answered yet.

I've just got my 1st Android phone in a Desire HD. I think it is a very cool phone with seemingly unlimited possibilities... as long as you have a data connection!

It seems a bit strange that to search for something that is on the phone you need to have a data connection. Agree that you can always type in the search but where people do not have unlimited data contracts (and in the UK these went away a while ago) I don't want to be using up data for simple voice searches.

Also this ties in with the inability to provide a simple handsfree bluetooth connection - this is something that should be a staple of all phones, not a luxury add-on. Do we live in the 90's or something?

Upvote 0
@ clintyboy12
ًWhat exactly is not answered?
This thread is old and with the new ROMs voice search works with WIFI as well.
To start voice search in the Market press the Microphone icon in the keyborad and say the app name.
For contacts say "call" and then the contacts's name.

Another free app is called Vlingo can be used to do more things, like turn bluetooth on or off, convert currency, translate, write messages and more...
I agree with you that the voice actions like sms writing shouldn't require internet connection.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones