• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Volume controls

markdoc

Android Expert
Jun 28, 2011
Suburb of New York City, NY, USA
I know this sounds stupid but I have a question. When adjusting volumes using the side buttons, I get two columns; One tall column that adjusts the sound level and a second column with a person icon that does nothing. Can someone tell me what that column is for? Or if someone knows a website that explains the settings. I would greatly appreciate it Screenshot_20220218-043811.png

That little person icon indicates you've got an accessibility feature enabled - like the shortcut button at the bottom right of your screenshot. It might be the "Select to Speak" feature, perhaps? (Or, at least, enabling "Select to Speak" on my phone got the dual volume controls shown in your screenshot. There may be others that result in the same thing.)

Take a look at Settings > Accessibility and turn off anything you're not actively using.

Upvote 0
That little person icon indicates you've got an accessibility feature enabled - like the shortcut button at the bottom right of your screenshot. It might be the "Select to Speak" feature, perhaps? (Or, at least, enabling "Select to Speak" on my phone got the dual volume controls shown in your screenshot. There may be others that result in the same thing.)

Take a look at Settings > Accessibility and turn off anything you're not actively using.

Thanks so much for your help. So that slider adjusts the volume if I'm using the sound amplifier from that accessibility button? I tried searching for the answer but never found anything about that column. Do you know of a site that acts like an instruction manual that has this information? That way I can look things up myself.

Upvote 0
Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Google has a pretty extensive collection of articles in various Help Centers:
I don't think it would be feasible for them to document everything given the pace at which features change, but those should at least provide a start.

Here's an article on the Sound Amplifier, though I don't think it directly addresses the dual volume controls:
https://support.google.com/accessibility/android/answer/9157755

That's what I needed. Again, thanks. I was using an LG V40 w/ Android 10 before this phone. Changing brands and Android versions at one time has caused my confusion. Hopefully this information will solve my problems. :thumbsupdroid:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones