• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help VZW Note 5, MS Calendar invites not recognized by native email client

Hello all,

New to site. Thanks in advance for any help.

Verizon Note 5, post paid plan.

Model: SM-N920V (Note 5)
Android Ver: 6.0.1
Security Patch Level, Feb 1, 2017
Baseband Ver: N920VVRS3BQB1
Kernel Ver: 3.10.61
Build number: MMB29K.N920VVRS3BQB1

I use google G2 Suite (Google for work) for my own business. I use the native Android apps for email, contacts, calendar (not the gmail app -- I can, but don't -- except to troubleshoot this problem).

In past several weeks, when someone sends me a meeting invite, created in MS Outlook, I get the email (viewing in the native email client), and it shows (now) like an email, with an .ics attachment. It used to be recognized as an invite and provide the UI to accept/decline, etc. Accepting this fact for the time being, if I click on the .ics attachment, I get an error that app does not know how to open (para phrase).

Other points:

• If I see/open email in my desk Outlook client, works as expected.
  • If I view message from my Gmail app, it behaves like a calendar invite and I see the Gmail calendar template (Yes/Maybe/No response).
  • This was working before, only thing I can think of that changed is an Android update I received a few weeks ago by VZW.

Anyone else seeing the .ics behavior? Any ideas if there is a workaround, besides me using the native Gmail app?

Thanks again.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones