• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Waiting for the EU to build a case against Google

Robfactory

Sep 24, 2009
East Coast
With all the Droid talk, I started to think about all the perks owning one entails:
Android 2.0
5 MP dual flash LED
3.7” multitouch capacitive screen
GPS
Android Turn by Turn
and many other features.
However, will the European courts view Google’s apps as a good thing or implementation of software that will create a monopoly and diminish competition?

A few years back the European courts deemed Microsoft‘s Internet Explorer (IE), Windows Media Player (WMP), as added on software that violated fair competition act, in short a multi-million dollar Anti-Trust lawsuit ensued. This might be a reason why the Motorola Sholes, Droid, Milestone (am I forgetting one?) is running with MotoNav rather than Google Turn by Turn.

Google has stated Google apps are subject to the carrier’s discretion. It would be interesting to see how MotoNav will differ from Google Turn by Turn…and I’m not talking about the user interface (UI), but what’s powering it.

It would also be interesting to see what TomTom and Garmin LTD.’s next step will be. Especially since the Google navigation system is free and incorporated into a multifunction device.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones