• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories WARNING, don't get this case

Andrewdroid

Sep 28, 2010
Gotham
Amazon.com: Samsung Captivate I897 (AT&T) Rubberized Snap On Protector Hard Case, Black: Cell Phones & Service

Your fingernails and phone will thank you! Do not buy!

My review is the last one with 1 star. I really wanted to like that case, you pretty much just pay for the shipping. And everyone else that bought it loved it.

It's actually very well made for being so cheap, fits the phone exactly with high quality hard plastic with rubberized finish. But damned if I could get it off. You'll risk messing up your hand and damaging your phone trying to get this sucker off. Seriously it locks on to the phone so damn tight and there is just this tiny "coin slot" to pry it off, but not even that can yank it loose! (And the only coin that fits is a dime) Damn my fingernails hurt now. I never thought I'd say this but... omg I broke a nail.

While it is very hard to remove, for the price it was decently well made. If one plans on leaving the case on indefinitely, the case is pretty darn good. The side indentation allows for east access to the lock button, and the only aesthetic complaint I have is that the mold lines on the sides are unsightly.

It also fits the Innocase holster perfectly. I bought the Innocase II + holster, but because of the problem you experienced, decided to use the hardcase until I had access to some better tools.

The trick is to use a smallish flathead screwdriver, insert into the coin slot, gently twist, and then run the flat head along the side to pry the two parts together. I scuffed mine up a bit doing so, but I will probably stick with the Innocase and have this as a backup case.

Again, I agree that the case is difficult to remove, and removal can potentially damage the case, but for those who plan on leaving the case on pretty much all the time, it's a good choice, especially at that price.

Side note, the Innocase and the hardcase seem to be made of very similar material.

Upvote 0
Maybe the particular one i have is faulty... even with the dime it was so difficult to get off. My nails still hurt but they are better now. I'm using a free silicone case that came with my realook screen protectors now, and it's nice but definitely too "sticky" in your pocket--- but a very nice grip in your hand. I don't really want a case that protects the phone so much, because usually those are very thick... I kind of want the thinnest one possible that mostly just makes the grip better. (The phone naked is like a bar of soap).

I don't mind the at&t logo.

I'm looking into the bodyglove case that everyone seems to like on here.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones