• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Washed phone - speakers don't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeamPCBeach

Jul 22, 2010
Last weekend I pulled pulled the bonehead move and left my S3 in my pants pocket when they went through the wash. I pulled battery, sim card etc and put the phone in a bag of rice and pulled a vacuum with a food saver. Let it sit a week. Today I fired up the phone and to my surprise it booted right up, connected 4g and WiFi, touch screen worked fine.

Tried to place a call and found out the speakers don't work. Camera dead also. I can live without the camera, but no speakers makes the phone useless. Anyone have any tips or suggestions? Of course I had canceled insurance just last month.....

I am a year away from being able to upgrade and going back to my old Droid X is killing me.

Wow, be glad it is working this far, but for how long is the question.
Do both the earpiece speaker and external speaker not work?

I don't know how hard it would be to replace both speakers or how available the speakers are to find online, but perhaps your carrier store can replace them?

What carrier do you have?

Is the phone squeeky clean now? :p

Edit: found this if it helps:
http://www.ifixit.com/Device/Samsung_Galaxy_S_III#guideList

Upvote 0
Why not take out insurance now?

Because most insurers don't sell "retroactive" policies.

I used to never have insurance if my phone would break id put insurance on the plan wait a couple of days and take the phone in lol always seemed to work for me

Which is fraud, as in illegal, and a felony. It's not good for you, your family or your karma, and crime is never a solution to a problem.

I suggest taking the high road here, even if it might cost you a few sheckles. You'll at least be able to look in the mirror without seeing something you regret.

Any further discussion of fraud will get this thread locked.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones