• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Washington Post bought by Amazon owner Jeff Bezos

I actually like the Post living in DC. I'm hoping it doesn't go any further downward than possible. :(
Washington Post to be sold to Jeff Bezos, the founder of Amazon - The Washington Post
But, this is likely the future of any print media going forward that has the amount of staff the Post has.

I've come to grips with e-books replacing printed books (well, to some extent) and the loss of a substantial number of daily papers. Here in SLC, we once had three daily newspapers and we had both morning and evening editions.

These days, a writer has far more opportunities to sell. Time marches on, as new tech replaces the old stuff. I am anxious to see what he does with it. Perhaps kill it off and turn the building into 5 million dollar apartments? I would hate to see the paper go away.

As an aside, we shot pictures for two of those papers. We could take the pictures, print the negatives wet and deliver prints in less than an hour. Take that, digital. :D

Jeff seems to know what he is doing. That said, when you are accustomed to success, a failure comes as quite a surprise. Good luck, Jeff. I hope you do not regret the 250 mil you spent.

Upvote 0
We have two main free papers for Metro riders each morning:
WaPo Express and the Examiner.
Both are filled with some short news stories but mostly fluff and classifieds.
Personally, I read the WaPo online for local and food related news. Just a couple weeks ago it went the way of the NYT; requiring a paid subscription for more than 20 article views a month.
We're still on the fence to do it. While I like some of the reporting from WaPo, it's usually not something I can't get from CNN, local blogs, food blogs, Yelp etc.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones