• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root We Need Testers!

I took the second file off because a newer version came out here's the links with a little instruction:
Samsung Drivers
Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry_v13.zip

First install the drivers unless you have Samsung Kies already installed.
Next, extract the Root tool
Run the RunMe.bat as administrator, it will tell you when to plug the device in.
Follow the on screen prompts. Report back with your findings. If you are able to get root, we can then get partition dumps and possibly make CWMR...
Cheers.

Can you post a link again? :) This one isn't opening for me.

Edit: is this link from XDA the same zip? http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...s4GgDg&usg=AFQjCNGb8ohVN7Q06yBuUd3m-0EzDu6dXA

Upvote 0
Soooo, it's about 2pm where I am now. In 8hrs I'll be live on IRC with a CWM recovery for testing. This recovery was built from source with the best information we have available right now, which we admit is still incomplete. If you would like to be a pioneer for what is looking like a real decent device, join me on IRC tonight. If you need ADB, let me know, I have exe for Windows. You will also need the Samsung Drivers and ODIN. An 8gb sdcard would be nice also, since the images can be up to 4gb on this device.

But, be prepared: It's easy to brick devices during this stage of the game. If you got your device at BestBuy you should be able to trade it in for a new one since it's only been out a short time, but I can't guarantee anything.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Soooo, it's about 2pm where I am now. In 8hrs I'll be live on IRC with a CWM recovery for testing. This recovery was built from source with the best information we have available right now, which we admit is still incomplete. If you would like to be a pioneer for what is looking like a real decent device, join me on IRC tonight. If you need ADB, let me know, I have exe for Windows. You will also need the Samsung Drivers and ODIN. An 8gb sdcard would be nice also, since the images can be up to 4gb on this device.

But, be prepared: It's easy to brick devices during this stage of the game. If you got your device at BestBuy you should be able to trade it in for a new one since it's only been out a short time, but I can't guarantee anything.

Can't wait!! Thank you so much!

Upvote 0
Yes, its the same file as I posted. The guy on "that other forum" mentioned a v14, so you may want to look at the thread as many people were asking for a working method for various Samsung devices.

In case nobody else has tried, I tried this with my VM SGR and it failed, too. I'm not saying everyone's will fail that has a VM SGR... just that mine did.

Upvote 0
no one in this thread claimed the phone was rooted, just a few folks who dont have the device trying to help get it rooted :p

Not in this one, but in the thread titled "Finally Root Achieved" the OP is claiming to have achieved root but it is false claim. I believe that is what he was referring to.

Upvote 0
I know everyone is excited about this device, but I am beginning to think Samsung code is at fault. Shabby and I have worked side by side on Reverb/Rush. They have the same processor, nearly identical HW, except for the display. The kernel code for this device can make the Rush kernel. Exact same partitions, fstab and all of that. But, this recovery has bricked two devices already, and I haven't had the time to figure out exactly why. The devices have been replaced by Virgin without argument. The users were super cool about the whole thing, but I don't want it to happen again. So, for the time being, unless root fairies drop an exploit, I won't be releasing anything AT ALL until I have some answers. Since the devices bricked without giving me any clues at all, its gonna take some time. I am also working on CM10 for the Photon-Q and I just started school, so things may seem kinda slow. The good news is all my classes are programming classes ;) I'll be back as soon as I can.

Upvote 0
In about a half hour I'll reboot so the Heimdall drivers will kick in, I'll dump the PIT shortly after. v1.3.1 okay?

Scratch that:
Initialising connection... Detecting device...
Claiming interface...
Setting up interface...
Checking if protocol is initialised...
Protocol is not initialised.
Initialising protocol...
ERROR: Failed to initialise protocol!

*** Identical results with Heimdall v1.3.2 as well.

*** And that's with the 'zadig' driver installed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones