• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Weak signature algorithm

orb li

Lurker
Apr 28, 2017
I suspect that there is some misconfigured system-wide setting that untrust all ssl certificates using sha1. besides getting "unlock" icon on google websites when browsing, i can't even associate new google accounts with my android device. sadly, there is no specific error information when i try to sign in new google accoujnts.

but both the native browser, and chrome shows me some error similar to "NET::ERR_CERT_WEAK_SIGNATURE_ALGORITHM"
and some of the apk games i play encounter some strange disconnection problems, which i suspect to be related with above issue also.

Would like to know whether there is system-wide configuration for this, or which update is responsible for that... etc.

Hi,

Welcome to the site!

This message definitely relates to an incompatibility between the SSL certificate of the site you are visiting and the installed web browser. I know that Google were planning to check quite aggressively. However to kill of their own website is undoubtedly a bug.

Since the native Web browser will be used to perform https activities on behalf of installed apps, it does not surprise me that you also see problems there.

My chrome browser, which does not complain about the Google website) was last updated on the 29th of March so check that you have the same version and update it if not. If you are already up to date, try to delete and reinstall chrome. What you could also do would be to downgrade the default browser (usually a deinstall will revert back to the factory installed version). See if that gets rid of the problem.

Regards,
Eric.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones