• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Weatherbug alerts require Enable Updates?

On WeatherBug's android page, it states

"Always on" NWS weather alerts such as Tornado warnings even when the WeatherBug app is turned off.

But I was wondering, do alerts only come in when the weather is refreshed (either by opening the app or having Enable Updates enabled)?

And how much of a battery drain is Enable Updates and Enable Follow Me in WeatherBug?

I'd like to get alerts for whereever I happen to be. I'd be ok if the location was updated only every few hours, but I'd like to get the alert ASAP. Their website implies the alert is pushed to the phone, but I'm doubting that's what happens. If I set updates for every 4 hours, and alert 4 hours after the storm comes through isn't really useful.

And of course, I don't want to kill my battery just trying to get the occasional weather alert :D

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones