• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Weird popup messages

Choirgirl21

May 12, 2011
Since around 5 am I have been getting strange text messages. The number they come from shows up as "6250" and the message is always VZWNMN: xx and xx is some number. They appear as multimedia messages, but don't open when I try to. I've been deleting them as they come in, but they're quite frequent.

Any idea what this is? I downloaded the SMS app recently to get texts as pop ups, but this did not coincide exactly with me doing that; I had been using the app for a bit before these started.

Any ideas?:(

Since around 5 am I have been getting strange text messages. The number they come from shows up as "6250" and the message is always VZWNMN: xx and xx is some number. They appear as multimedia messages, but don't open when I try to. I've been deleting them as they come in, but they're quite frequent.

Any idea what this is? I downloaded the SMS app recently to get texts as pop ups, but this did not coincide exactly with me doing that; I had been using the app for a bit before these started.

Any ideas?:(

Is it same as this problem?

Upvote 0
hi I ran into this early on. Those text messages are from verizons sync and connect.
They are notifying you of a new email.
So if you created your email accounts under mail and then chose any of the yahoo, live-hotmail, aol or gmail choices. It sets up that account on your phone and on verizons web site. On the vzw site, log in and look under messaging, contacts and you will see the email accounts you created on the phone. Plus if you are watching mail hit the inbox on your phone and disappear its because they are ending up on the verizon site and not left on the phone.
The solution to those texts stopping and my email working was to create my email accounts via the "other (pop3/imap) under mail.
If you do it that way. Your accounts will not be replicated to the vzw website. Your mail will not disappear and you will no longer get those annoying texts from 6250.
I hope this helps..

Upvote 0
I activated my incredible2 on Sunday and have gotten about 20 vzwnmn messages since. At one point I thought it was email so deleted hotmail and reinstalled.... Got a bunch all over again. I talked to Verizon twice today... First time they said it was premium messages. That didn't work.... I called back and they said they'd call me tomorrow.

TT1080i-- u nailed it. Removed hotmail and added back as (pop3/IMAP) and haven't gotten any '6250' messages in the past 3 hours.

Upvote 0
Ahhhh. So this actually started for me when I deleted the mail app. I am only checking gmail through the phone right now so I use the gmail app for that. The mail app was bugging me giving me the little envelope up top so I just deleted it thinking that would make it go away. I just now went in and deleted my gmail account from it so I'm no longer using it. I'll see if that makes them stop.

Thanks!

While I'm in here, 2 more technical questions:

Does anyone know what the little icon is at the top that looks like a landscape page with lines across it and a green bubble with a number in it? I was thinking maybe it's Facebook telling me I have unread news feed, but it doesn't go away when I check FB.

Also, I have what look like 2 "downloading" icons. I think they're from a webpage I went to yesterday that was trying to download a yoga schedule. I restarted my phone and they haven't gone away. Any ideas?

Thanks! I have a LOT to learn with this smartphone transition it seems.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones