• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Well here it is, the LG Nexus 4! Without LTE

Where at in Iowa? General area. I used to live in des Moines and it seemed like there were plenty of options there.

If your rural you may not have many options

DSM but I need it to work throughout the state otherwise its a step backwards cuz VZW works everywhere I've tried it and I'm now getting lte pretty much everywhere I travel in state. If I could get off contract, start buying phones like this, and have great coverage for these (up to) 42 mbs speeds these guys are talking about, then I'm all in.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
Ok to really put this LTE talk to the test, I have this question?
We know the Nexus 4 has a quad core, and 4.2 with Project butter on board right?
Well with that combo how fast will this thing really be data speed wise?
I'd be interested to see this device really roll on say Tmobile's supposedly very very speedy HSPA+ network. Especially when you throw in the fact that they offer some crazy $70 off contract sim plan with a good amount of data....whoa!

Honestly I would maybe go for something like that if...

A- data speeds where speedy with real world use, watching vids, browsing the Internet, and downloading music and such.

B- the network doesn't completely suck and I don't get real spotty service in and around NYC.

C- the plan is what it says it is, meaning its really like $70 some what bucks to roll on Tmobile's network with no headaches contract free.

If this is a real option and anyone can chime in on this, we'll let's just say this may change my mind about the whole LTE thing, as well as save me a lot of dough $$$

Upvote 0
Yeah, I tend to agree with what he is saying as well, especially with a 12 month product cycle. Remember when we all laughed at Apple for not putting LTE on the iPhone 4S? Now Google does it OVER A YEAR LATER!? What were they thinking?! :rolleyes: Note to Google: When Apple puts LTE on their handset, the technology is ready for primetime. It is NOT an emerging technology at that point.

I think the criticism of the iPhone not having LTE was mainly directed at the Verizon version. They have a crappy 3G network. On att it was less of an issue. The nexus 4 doesn't support cdma, so it doesn't seem that comparable.

Are all the people in this thread who are complaining att customers who live in an LTE-covered area? Or is it mainly Verizon users?

Upvote 0
Here's two speed test done by my brother (T-Mobile's hspa+) & I (at&t's LTE) in the same city:

T-Mobile's hspa+
Screenshot_2012-10-30-19-36-03.png

at&t's LTE
2012-10-30_21-39-22.png

As you can see they are pretty much the same with T-Mobile slightly faster

I've ran a test at a different time on at&t's network and came up with speeds as high as 32 Mbps while my brother was getting about the same. So to say the Nexus 4 is a failure because the lack of LTE is just wrong.

Upvote 0
Here's two speed test done by my brother (T-Mobile's hspa+) & I (at&t's LTE) in the same city:

T-Mobile's hspa+
Screenshot_2012-10-30-19-36-03.png

at&t's LTE
2012-10-30_21-39-22.png

As you can see they are pretty much the same with T-Mobile slightly faster

I've ran a test at a different time on at&t's network and came up with speeds as high as 32 Mbps while my brother was getting about the same. So to say the Nexus 4 is a failure because the lack of LTE is just wrong.

Wow...so I see! So in actuality the Nexus 4 unlocked running on Tmobile's HSPA+ is not really that much slower then a phone running on at&t's LTE network?

Interesting I must say.

Upvote 0
Ok to really put this LTE talk to the test, I have this question?
We know the Nexus 4 has a quad core, and 4.2 with Project butter on board right?
Data speed itself has nothing to do with your phone's response time. Your phone can't display data before it is downloaded. That being said, once it is downloaded to your device, how fast and smoothly and seamlessly it puts it in the form you want is up to the phone's hardware and software. This is where these insane specs and project butter shine. I have the Galaxy Nexus and since Jelly Bean it has been really smooth. I can't wait to see what the Nexus 4 has in store.
A- data speeds where speedy with real world use, watching vids, browsing the Internet, and downloading music and such.
As I said, I have the unlocked Galaxy Nexus. It runs on T-mobile's HSPA+ network, but limited to HSPA+ 21. The speeds are very very good. While most of my downloads and streaming takes place over wifi networks, I do on occasion stream videos and music (Pandora) on HSPA+ and I have hardly ever noticed a lag.

B- the network doesn't completely suck and I don't get real spotty service in and around NYC.
I don't live in NYC, but given that it is one of the 163 cities T-mobile has lit up with HSPA+ 42, you should be good to go.

C- the plan is what it says it is, meaning its really like $70 some what bucks to roll on Tmobile's network with no headaches contract free.
What plan are you referring to, exactly? The $70 Monthly4G plan allows unlimited minutes and texting, but is limited to 5GB of high speed data. After that, you get dropped to 2G speeds. If you want unlimited 4G with T-mobile, you will have to sign up for a contract - you can get a value plan though, which requires you to bring your own phone, for fairly cheap if you're willing to sign a contract. Alternatively, you can get a Simple Mobile unlimited everything plan for $50 a month.

Personally, I have plenty of wifi access, and I don't use the phone to talk that much (plus I have ways of routing calls to my Google Voice number over the data connection), so I went with the $30 Monthly4G that comes with unlimited texting and 5GB of high speed data, but only 100 minutes.

Upvote 0
I wonder how it would fare on at&t's HSPA+? I've heard from many people I know on TMO that they're + network is way faster then at&t's.
That would make sense. Both because AT&T is not known for the best network management and because AT&T's HSPA+ is limited to 21 mbps whereas with the right device (and Nexus 4 supports this), T-mobile's HSPA+ supports 42.2 mbps theoretical speeds.

Upvote 0
Data speed itself has nothing to do with your phone's response time. Your phone can't display data before it is downloaded. That being said, once it is downloaded to your device, how fast and smoothly and seamlessly it puts it in the form you want is up to the phone's hardware and software. This is where these insane specs and project butter shine. I have the Galaxy Nexus and since Jelly Bean it has been really smooth. I can't wait to see what the Nexus 4 has in store.

As I said, I have the unlocked Galaxy Nexus. It runs on T-mobile's HSPA+ network, but limited to HSPA+ 21. The speeds are very very good. While most of my downloads and streaming takes place over wifi networks, I do on occasion stream videos and music (Pandora) on HSPA+ and I have hardly ever noticed

I don't live in NYC, but given that it is one of the 163 cities T-mobile has lit up with HSPA+ 42, you should be good to go.

What plan are you referring to, exactly? The $70 Monthly4G plan allows unlimited minutes and texting, but is limited to 5GB of high speed data. After that, you get dropped to 2G speeds. If you want unlimited 4G with T-mobile, you will have to sign up for a contract - you can get a value plan though, which requires you to bring your own phone, for fairly cheap if you're willing to sign a contract. Alternatively, you can get a Simple Mobile unlimited everything plan for $50 a month.

Personally, I have plenty of wifi access, and I don't use the phone to talk that much (plus I have ways of routing calls to my Google Voice number over the data connection), so I went with the $30 Monthly4G that comes with unlimited texting and 5GB of high speed data, but only 100 minutes.

I use about 5gigs a month on at&t and I've got wifi access in both my home and office, so I shouldn't ever go over. Plus the plan is appealing to me since its without a contract and headaches.

Upvote 0
Most of the ones complaining are Verizon users with a few ATT LTE people in the mix. Anybody that's used HSPA+ with ATT and TMo then Compared LTE on The Big Red or even ATTs know this argument is pointless. HSPA+ is wonderful.

Verizon has brought this among themselves. They now fear losing a small group of subscribers to ATT or Tmo for both unlimited data or cheaper data plans and Pure Google Experience (updates). I'm sure once Verizon makes the decision not to intervene in the Nexus 4 update scheme or bloat then Google will gladly make a CDMA version that will likely sport a LTE radio in a couple months. I'm also sure 32gb versions are down the pipelines too.

As far as you complainers... There are many of other phone options out there. Look around and buy something else if this isn't what you think you deserve. Stop blowing up a thread with complaints.

Reactions: g_patrick15
Upvote 0
I'm liking this unlocked game plan that Google is following. I am going to look into switching from Verizon to a Tmobile prepaid in the future.

But any smartphone without expandable memory or a removable battery is automatically off of my list. Sorry Nexus 4(and apparently all other Nexus phones to come). Too bad, because I'd probably be all over this if Google would figure out these are standard features.

Upvote 0
DSM but I need it to work throughout the state otherwise its a step backwards cuz VZW works everywhere I've tried it and I'm now getting lte pretty much everywhere I travel in state. If I could get off contract, start buying phones like this, and have great coverage for these (up to) 42 mbs speeds these guys are talking about, then I'm all in.

I grew up in the Quad Cities. My parents still live there.

Upvote 0
Honestly, I only get around 100ms, 10Mbps down, and 8Mbps up with Verizons LTE. That is so weak its rediculous. Thats around the higher results i get too. I have no problem going back to prepaid who uses at&t towers

Yeah we are in the same area. I do like ATT for ping response on HSPA+ I went from 200 - 300 ping down to 20 - 60 and TBH that's more important than raw speeds when all you are doing is queuing websites for feeds like facebook, google+, and whatnot.

Upvote 0
How many people have a phone that's running faster test speeds than their home internet? I have a 10Mbps line which yields 7-8Mbps in real live tests... I stream HD content from Vudu (None HDX) and many other sites while cruising the net and I never have a problem.

My phone actually gets a little better than that on a consistent basis.... Just an interesting way of looking at it.

Upvote 0
That doesnt make sense from 4g to 2g?, hspa +42 skipping 3g to 2g? Bullsh*t
Actually, that is what everyone does - everyone that throttles anyway. If they simply dropped you to regular 3G (HSPA), it is basically giving you unlimited data at great or pretty good speeds. With most 3G connections, you can still stream videos, music, and eat up bandwidth. The whole point of throttling is to discourage (and in most cases, disable) high bandwidth usage.

But if you can't do with 5 gigs of data, look into one of T-mobile's value plans with unlimited 4G data.

Upvote 0
Actually, that is what everyone does - everyone that throttles anyway. If they simply dropped you to regular 3G (HSPA), it is basically giving you unlimited data at great or pretty good speeds. With most 3G connections, you can still stream videos, music, and eat up bandwidth. The whole point of throttling is to discourage (and in most cases, disable) high bandwidth usage.

But if you can't do with 5 gigs of data, look into one of T-mobile's value plans with unlimited 4G data.

My plan Is to get the nexus 4 and the t mobile $30 monthly 4g plan (100min/unlimited talk+text/5gb data) I Also have wifi too

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones