• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Well, is it really worth rooting the Eris?

My last questions,

1- I could not find the button on the keyboard to minimize the keyboard
2- Did i understand correctly that all my apps that were lost can be easily recovered ??? I really dont think so. But I may be wrong.
3- Where do I go to overclock ? I think I may have fell in love with my eris again
4- IS there a topic that helps installing apps to my sd card?

Thanks to each and every one for all the help. I really appreciate it.
1. You need to go into the key board settings and look for user interface. then uncheck "smiley hack". back out of that and hit "kill keyboard" and you should have the hide keyboard button back. you can also use the droid multitouch keyboard by long pressing in a text field and pressing "select input" and look for the multitouch keyboard.
2. I dont think the apps can be recovered easily the 1st time you root. go to the market and install titanium back up. install all your apps and back them up with titanium. if you flash another 2.2 rom most of your apps will install again, froyo is cool like that.
3. Over clocking is already built into the Froyo rom. If you wanted more control over your over clocking needs, download setcpu from the market, just be careful with it.
4. to install apps on your SD card go into menu>settings>cyanogen settings>application settings>install location. select external. Dont install apps that you use often to the SD card. if you have some apps already installed on the phone and want them on the SD card, hit menu>manage applications and look for your app. select it and you will see an option to move it to the SD card. if it says there isnt enough room, try it a couple more times. if youre still getting the error, uninstall and reinstall that app.

Hope that helps!

Upvote 0
My last questions,

1- I could not find the button on the keyboard to minimize the keyboard
You're going to discover other changes to the keyboard as well, mostly for the good. Just hit enter instead of minimizing. That should get you the same result.

Other changes are that if you tap a word from the selections, it automatically inserts a space. Also, if you then add a space (or type two spaces), it adds a period. That one frustrated me for a while, but once I realized what was happening it made things easier.

Upvote 0
Well I decided to go for the Root on this past weekend, and I really took a gamble - I was away from home! If I bricked the phone, I had no means of communication other than my laptop.

anyway, I did the one-click method to root the phone. Oh, it was so easy!! So easy I thought maybe I did something wrong, but I got to the admin screen and then proceeded to do the Nandbackup and necessary wipes. No problem there.

Finally, I installed a customized ROM. Since I do like the HTC Sense UI, I opted for the XtrSense ROM.

Once the ROM was installed and the reboot started, than I waited to see if I would have a rooted phone with a better ROM and UI, OR something a brick layer would be proud of using!

To my satisfaction - I now have the better ROM and UI, had internal memory for apps of 98mbs, RAM of 78mbs, a more stable (to me anyway) UI functionality, and no more famous (or INfamous) ERIS lag!!!

My only "awwww," was that my battery life doesn't show any noticeable improvement. No problem for me since I'm use to charging it daily and the battery didn't have any a decrease in usage!

All in all, I'm very happy with my newly rooted ERIS. I give rooting a thumbs up and say it is really worth it, especially if one has an ERIS.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones