• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Well it took long enough but I am regretting getting this phone now

I have just learned to accept the limitations of this phone (still 2.1). There are still a few things I like (keypad and decent high res display).

I believe that this phone is a clear example of the fragmented nature of android phones in general. Phone companies are pumping so many different models of android that they cannot properly support them all. If you look around the forum, you have people complaining that they have not gotten the latest OS update for their phone or tablet (That was the Shine Plus last year when every few weeks there was a thread asking about the froyo and gingerbread updates). It boggles the mind that ICS has been out for 5 months and only about 2% of android phones are running it. Once an update is pushed out by the phone company, there is a brief period of joyous postings followed by complaints that things are screwed up by the new update and demands that the carrier and manufacturer fix the problem. If you have a good selling or premium phones, you may get some timely support. For the others, there are delays or no support at all. In our case, it appears LG has given up. Judging by the lack of activity on this sub-forum, it appears that many of us owners have also given up.

My wife and son recently took advantage of a Telus offer of a free iPhone 3GS on any 3 year plan (no data required, tip: if you are a loyal customer ask for the Saskatchewan voice 25 plan which has the most minutes and free features). I have had a chance to play with it. The phone is a 3 year old model and 1.5 to 2 generations back. We updated it to iOS 5.1 (warning: latest 5.1 cannot be untethered jailbroken). The latest OS runs unbelievably well and smoothly. All the apps work. Battery performance is excellent; it only uses about 35% battery in a day with basic usage, some calls, texts and wifi no data (tip: turn off the location feature or the phone will die after about 5 hours!). I am tempted to re-up my plan for 3 years, pay a small penalty and get a 3GS before they run out. Even though it is an older phone, it meets all my needs. I will probably wait to see if Telus will offer the 4 or 4s on a similar offer when the 5 comes out.

Upvote 0
Glad I'm not with Telus and that I got this phone on the cheap without a contract. ;) Let's just say I've given up hope that LG will own up to fixing their phone and they've lost a potential customer... I'm even boycotting other LG products. Had a choice between a Samsung and an LG washer/dryer kit, I chose Samsung... Had a choice for a new LG Optimus 2x phone or the Samsung Galaxy S2, chose the Galaxy... TV wise, I own an LG and will be switching to Sony or Panasonic as soon as the sucker dies out.

The problem with products that aren't given decent support is they make the company lose sales. They know this, but the volume of income still justifies the money they've lost on future purchases. It's just a very poor long term business model because you're hemorrhaging money in some departments and others compensate for that. But then again, I couldn't care less if LG bellies up. ;)

****EDIT*****

Your Message
Hello,I'm sick and tired of this phone. Alot of us in the Android Forums are. This phone was foolishly updated to v20a which either broke the phone or rendered it unstable on bluetooth, on wifi, broke voice recognition... Why LG? Why haven't you AT LEAST fixed the wifi issue which is freezing our phone at least 3-4 times per day? I KNOW you had a test version v20B which was never released. Why aren't you making good on fixing this phone? We already lost many people who got rid of the phone. I paid money for this item and I am not happy with it because it is now rendered useless. It's gathering dust in a closet. I had to fork over more money for a new phone because it kept freezing whenever I had wifi enabled.PLEASE LG, fix this phone. Release v20B and fix the wifi issue at the very least to make the phone usable again. I'm not sure I'll be willing to buy another LG product otherwise, as I can't be assured it'll work properly.Thank you.
Attachment :

Writing to them again just for kicks. (WHERE'S MY FIX, BIATCH??)

Upvote 0
The 2.3 update that broke my shine plus pushed me to get a new phone when the LGC710H probably had another year of life on it at least. I too am boycotting LG products and i will never suggest one to a friend.. every time I need a new Cell phone, TV, washer/dryer I will walk right on by anything made by LG..

on the other hand I could thank LG for pushing me to get a new phone because I love my Galaxy s2 :)

Reactions: karendar
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones