• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What can you do with a deactivated, rooted phone?

Leonard1818

Android Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2010
I got an iphone but decided to root my old fascinate just for kicks. Done. Now I'd like to know if theres anything cool I can do. I'll probably just use it for gps now but figured I'd ask the pros anyway. Plus my wife still uses the fascinate so my phone serves as somewhat of a test environment

I'm letting my kids use my old Droid X to play games on. It has a bigger screen and faster processor than my 1st generation iPod Touch.

I've thought about using it for GPS as well, but I would have to download the Map/route while on wifi at home prior to leaving, and I'm unsure whether the GPS needs to do any data/downloading of route info while navigating. I have the windshield mount for the X, but returned the mount for the Galaxy Nexus I have now (too big, blocks too much windshield). I guess I will have to try it some time.

Upvote 0
Well damn. That's it? The music player was the WORST stock app of the entire phone. So annoying. I hated how anytime it connected to bluetooth it would just start playing something random (mostly custom ringtones).

Anyone know if there's a way to replace the stock music app with something different? That would make it much more usable.

Upvote 0
Well damn. That's it? The music player was the WORST stock app of the entire phone. So annoying. I hated how anytime it connected to bluetooth it would just start playing something random (mostly custom ringtones).

Anyone know if there's a way to replace the stock music app with something different? That would make it much more usable.

There's a pretty cool music player called Cubed in the market. It shows up as "3" when you search for cubed.

It has a cube interface or a list interface that looks like the Zune and a Tile interface that looks like Windows phone 7 tiles.

Here's a comparison of several players starting with Cubed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V-NxJchDm4&feature=related

Reactions: Leonard1818
Upvote 0
I turned my of Droid into a voip home phone using Google voice, grooveip and keepwifi. Its free and nice to have a home phone to put on enrollment forms and an extra phone to call if me and the wife are out and kids are home with a sitter.

That sounds perfect. I'm familiar with google voice... do you have any further details on how this was accomplished?

Upvote 0
Nevermind. I think I figured it out (in two quick google searches... d'oh!). Grooveip allows the make/receive voip calls and keepwifi keeps the wifi signal on even when the phone sleeps.

So what are the limitations? I work from home a lot and I need to (at times) call internationally... Can I call Canada/PR/bahamas using grooveIP?

Upvote 0
Nevermind. I think I figured it out (in two quick google searches... d'oh!). Grooveip allows the make/receive voip calls and keepwifi keeps the wifi signal on even when the phone sleeps.

So what are the limitations? I work from home a lot and I need to (at times) call internationally... Can I call Canada/PR/bahamas using grooveIP?

I'm not 100% on international calling since I personally have never used it but to my understanding it is just the standard rates as listed by googles ip calling. https://www.google.com/voice/rates

Upvote 0
I'm totally playing with this tonight when I get home. I have been running a test on my phone but I'm going to scrap that. Basically, my phone has has wifi off and mobile data off (so no signal coming into the phone) and I've been curious how long the battery would last. I'm at 10 days and about 45% right now.

Scrap this test! I want to USE this thing.

Upvote 0
OK i did all of this last night. haven't really gotten a chance to test it cause I don't have anyone that I can call that late.

My only thing that I have yet to figure out is getting the voicemails that go to my google voice number to show in the google voice app on the deactivated phone. To set up the GV app, it walks you through and you get to a step where it wants to send an SMS but since the phone is deactivated, it doesn't send it and errors.

Any advice?

Upvote 0
Im a Network Admin and what I did was load it up with all of the cool networking tools on the market and with the IP cam viewer. Now I have a great testing tool and can view all 15 cameras in the company right from the phone. All i need to do is stay connected to the network via wifi, and in my company the whole place has wifi coverage so it works great. I also keep data disabled so the battery lasts longer.:cool:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones