• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What does android/google back up automatically?

JoeHockey

Jul 31, 2008
My son's droid got stolen last weekend and when the replacement arrived on Monday we went through the activation process and were shocked when everything but the pictures and music that was on the sd card in the old phone came back automatically! So my question is...how did this happen? What does the droid backup on it's own?:thinking:

My son's droid got stolen last weekend and when the replacement arrived on Monday we went through the activation process and were shocked when everything but the pictures and music that was on the sd card in the old phone came back automatically! So my question is...how did this happen? What does the droid backup on it's own?:thinking:

google backs up dled android apps and purchased ones. Also you contacts are backed up into google contacts. anything on your old sd card will of course not come back and neither will populating your home screen and what not.

Upvote 0
you also get back wireless settings.

i.e. You have a wireless router at home and use it for wifi. When you turn on wireless on the device it obtains the IP address and password and will automatically reconnect.

I think your previous wallpaper is restored also.
At least when I'm flashing roms and have to sign back into Google it puts my last used wallpaper back on the screen. Even if I had removed the picture before flashing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones