• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help What exactly is FLASHING?

imowt

Jul 7, 2011
i just bought a phone for boost (evo design) and boost wants to start me at the 55.00 plan when I have a plan with them currently (evo shift) which was flashed I think because according to them I have a SANYO lol
but I have an evo shift ( someone I know set up my account)
He said if it was flashed I would not be starting at the 55.00 I would continue with my current 45.00 plan ...IS THIS TRUE?
I guess I just don't know the meaning of "flashing"

Your Evo Shift has the ESN of a Sanyo. I assume, then, that you're on the regular monthly unlimited plan as there are no Sanyo android phones on Boost for you to have the android plan. Switching to an Evo Design 4G would raise your monthly plan to $50 from $45.

By the way: your Evo Shift was ESN swapped with a Sanyo (illegal), not flashed.

Flashing is tweaking network-related things like MMS and data settings so that the phone will work on another carrier.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones