• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What is the one must have, killer app to show off Droid

Voice Search:
Say "Navigate to " and a specific addres (like a coworker's address).
Say "Navigate to " and something very general in another city (like "the children's museum in Bozeman")
Say "Map " and a specific address (like a coworker's address), then click on the address and Street View to see their house.

Fun apps:
Shopsavvy - scan a barcode
SkyMap - Very cool - especially at night
Metal Detector - really works!
gStrings - A very good musical instrument tuner (for the musical types)
Movies - Shows local movie times, trailers, and reviews - also links to the IMDB
Bubble - Good leveling utility

Upvote 0
I just did something that I think people would like.

I have instamapper installed (mainly for when I am on the bike so my wife knows where I am and can start dinner on my way home from work - :))

I can send a text message to the device to turn it on and then know where teh phone is - :)

i need to look into instamapper more- but I'm pretty sure the built in google maps with latitude does exactly that without having to install any 3rd party software.

Upvote 0
If the person you're showing your Droid off to doesn't believe that it is the greatest phone ever created, just bust out your lightsaber and cut his/her head off.

chart

Yea, I already had that on there, but I'm afraid somebody (or me) will send the droid flying by mistake.

Upvote 0
-Sky Map
-Navigation
-Voice search/recognition

I agree with these. Especially when you show them the street view on the turn-by-turn navigation!

how do i get the nav to stay in street view? I thought I could only get it to do street view when showing the destination. I haven't played with it much as my wife always forces me to drive ;-). I don't want to tinker too much while actually driving.

John

Upvote 0
PdaNet allows you to tether to your droid with your desktop or laptop computer. Pretty awsome everyone that i've shown it to is amazed. They can't believe my phone is allowing me to go online via my computer. Let them know you can drop your internet provider (att, comcast, charter, etc.) and they're really impressed.

ak.mac

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I didn't have time to install anything yet tonight, but did show my friend the trailer for Call of Duty, MW2 via Youtube in HQ and it blew him away. You don't even have to be into those kinds of games to be impressed by how the trailer looks on the Droid. Pretty impressive. I jotted down the items above and will give them a try during my next boring meeting ;-)

Upvote 0
This may sound nuts, but what is the one, must have app to really show off what the Droid is all about. I have friends, family and coworkers all interested in the Droid and wanting to check it out. I hand it over and they tinker a bit, but most leave unimpressed. Which 1 - 3 apps can I install to really show it off. Until now I have shown them HQ youtube video to show off the screen and sound. What else can I show them. The Nav app is also impressive. What else?

John

I have to say I use google sky and Instant Lyrics. The instant lyrics is free and displays the words to the songs I have downloaded in my Droid.

Upvote 0
PdaNet allows you to tether to your droid with your desktop or laptop computer. Pretty awsome everyone that i've shown it to is amazed. They can't believe my phone is allowing me to go online via my computer. Let them know you can drop your internet provider (att, comcast, charter, etc.) and they're really impressed.

ak.mac

Is pda net free? Is it limited to usb or does it support wifi too? I had a wifi router running on my windows mobile phone which was pretty cool. I never really had a need for it, but it was cool still. I did let my daughter browse using her iPod touch on a long car trip. That was pretty slick. Will it work with mac clients or just windows?

Upvote 0
This may sound nuts, but what is the one, must have app to really show off what the Droid is all about. I have friends, family and coworkers all interested in the Droid and wanting to check it out. I hand it over and they tinker a bit, but most leave unimpressed. Which 1 - 3 apps can I install to really show it off. Until now I have shown them HQ youtube video to show off the screen and sound. What else can I show them. The Nav app is also impressive. What else?

John

I forgot. The phone locator app that starts with Kor.....It allows me to locate my phone via text and I can force the ring volume up. I also show off the barscanner app.
For the first time tonight I used the spoof app. You only get 5 minutes free but you can make someones phone display another phone number, you can disguise your voice, and record your call. I can never get my teen to answer his phone so I called him, spoofed in his friends number then changed my voice. I recorded it to so I could hear what he was hearing. I am still cracking up over that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones