• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What is to do when selling a phone

louis2008

Nov 13, 2015
I mean
My phone is no longer in use I need a new phone, besides backing up photos and other data and deleting them from the device, what should I do to be safe that my other login data or saved password, information, cache, etc something will never be retrieved by another one?

I mean
My phone is no longer in use I need a new phone, besides backing up photos and other data and deleting them from the device, what should I do to be safe that my other login data or saved password, information, cache, etc something will never be retrieved by another one?
Wipe out your cell first off, then have it only lingered out to the stripped down, usually volume down and power button until you see the green android guy, then you rapidly release those two buttons, takes a few tries to get this, quickly tap those two buttons again, if you see a list then scroll down and highlight "Wipe all data?" it is usually all the 3/4ths down, then all your data is wiped out, you can still have your sims card to have all that data mental finger print on the old sims card. that will have everything just striped down from it.

Just be were on who you are selling it to.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
^this

Remove your accounts before you reset the phone. If you don't do that the new user won't be able to use the device without you giving them your Google password (due to factory reset protection).

Unless the phone is 8 years old or older the storage will be encrypted. The reset will delete the encryption key, so nobody is going to be able to recover your information from the phone. The reason for removing your account first is simply that your phone won't be usable by anyone else unless you do it.

(If you did reset first, log back in, remove your account, and then reset again).

Upvote 0
Just want to stress the point @Hadron posted, go into the Settings menu and remove your Google account and any other accounts first.
You need to remove the Google account authentication you used way back whenever you first used this phone. Keep in mind that a Factory Reset only deletes the user account data, all the files and option/config files that are relative to your personal info and such. But the primary Google account that your phone is linked to is retained in the operating system itself on your phone -- and again, the Factory Reset only wipes that user data partition, it does nothing to the Android operating system partitions.
So be sure to delete your Google account first, then do a Factory Reset. And don't forget to remove your SIM card and microSD card. When you restart your phone and check the Settings menu, all your personal info should be absent. (... if you see your carrier's info still there that's in name only. Just note that it should be replaced when the next owner puts in their SIM card, and don't worry, without your SIM card no one can actually still continue using your carrier account anyway.)

Reactions: Hadron and Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones