• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help What Keyboard was in IH6 but not II4?

Hawklord

Sep 5, 2009
My recent upgrade was great for performance and battery but utterly rubbish for keyboard (now some samsung thing).

I send a lot of emails, txts from the galaxy sometimes ... with the old keyboard it worked really well (things like predictive more intelligent&user-friendly, shift key etc etc) ... but the new "samsung" keyboard is rubbish - I find it a real pain to use and my speed is far slower as well as not enjoying it at all.

So simple Q ... what was the keyboard in IH6 and any way to install that keyboard in more "updated" phones?

More generally as my first upgrade I reeeeeeeeeeeally dislike this "whole package no options" thing ... I was hoping android would be more flexible ... who knows what thing I like now might get lost after the next upgrade :mad:

Hi Wam ... did u use IH6 before?

And indeed multi language is there but why they have to use a key i keep knocking by mistake i dont know (not that many people keep changing langauage within emails etc).

Of course these keyboards also a function of finger size ... i have large fingers so the more intelligent error correction in IH6 was the thing that made it very workable ... i didnt have to be accurate...

Upvote 0
So you need T9-feature activated in your keyboard? (keyboard is trying to guess what you are typing)

I never wanted to use that (t9) feature, because finish is too hard language.

Allso if you have trouble to type with large fingers I purpose you to use "Touch Input". It have calibrate tool to figure out what button you tried to push.

Upvote 0
So simple Q ... what was the keyboard in IH6 and any way to install that keyboard in more "updated" phones?

Me too.

The old keyboard was labelled 'Android keyboard'. I believe it to be standard Android keyboard, and as far as I can find it isn't available as a separate component.

Bummer.

I've installed AnySoftKeyboard from the marketplace. It's better than the Samsung in some ways - it has a shift key, for starters - but I'm not totally convinced it's a clear winner. Like you, I want the Android one back.

Upvote 0
OK that was its name - thanks guys.

So simple question ... any way to re-install the android keyboard? If one can install other keyboards cant see in principle why one cant install the standard adnoird keyboard module (whatever module means in this context).

H

pw I will check out the other keyboards when have time ... played with one whose name I forget but android was fine by me and as a prosumer I like to spend as much time as possible using my machine in a way that doesnt require the frontal lobes and me to wake up :p ... ie a stable thing like my tv remote control that my fingers do on their own :D

Upvote 0
copy to the sdk tools directory and do

adb install LatinIME.apk

Or copy to your SD card and use astro file manager (from the market) to browse to the sdcard and install the LatinIME.apk

Once installed, hold down on any textbox, and select input method and switch the keyboard :)

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Let me know if the disctionaries etc work ok :)

Upvote 0
I've installed AnySoftKeyboard from the marketplace. It's better than the Samsung in some ways - it has a shift key, for starters - but I'm not totally convinced it's a clear winner. Like you, I want the Android one back.

Hi BC

I installed that one and indeed its vastly better than the samsung rubbish (tho' i find the 123-ABC butons hard to use). Like you I think its not as good as the original Android one. My feel is that the android has a much more intelligent word suggester based on a better dictionary and knowledge of keys on the keyboard.

But for anyone else struggling witht he samsung ASK is much better IMO - so check it out to see what you think (esp. as restoring the original doesnt seem simple).

HL

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones