• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What started your Sprint/Android addiction

OK, well, what started me on Android was my utter distaste for the iPhone even when it first launched. I stayed with dumb phones for a very long time not seeing a need for a smart phone. (I tend to be on the practical side.)

Then I got into an intense debate with ATT over my land line service and the DSL that was bundled with it. The price on that service was creeping up $1 to $2 per month and the service itself was nothing special. I got fed up with their retention department after they told me that I'd basically have to "suck it up" when it came to the higher prices due to there being a recession at that time. Whatever...

So, I finally realized that Android phones had hotspots and that I could still use my desktop if I had an Android with a hot spot even after dumping my land line and DSL with stupid ATT.

I made the dumb mistake of picking the Samsung Epic 4G over the OG Evo. I regret that decision completely and entirely. At first I loved that phone. That first love started my addiction to Android but the phone itself seemed to self-destruct over the year I had it. Finally buttons popped off and I called it quits on the Epic.

I chose the Motorola Photon 4G as the replacement. I did have to trade in three phones before I found one that wouldn't simply switch off for no reason. Once I got that phone though I fell in love. I still would have that phone if it weren't for an unfortunate incident where I cracked the screen... At that time I was deciding that since WIMAX where I lived was iffy at best that I would rather take a gamble and get an LTE smart phone with my last Premier Gold upgrade.

So, I chose the HTC Evo 4G LTE, since everyone seemed to love it and I missed out on the OG Evo. I couldn't be happier with the phone. I'm even more in love with it than I was in love with my MoPho (of course that makes me feel like I'm cheating on my fond memories of my MoPho.. LOL).

Sprint has me concerned lately due to the extreme network degradation in my area, but I have to say that I absolutely love the HTC Evo 4g LTE.

Upvote 0
I've been extremely happy with Android, ever since I made the jump. With the EVO, only reason for the jump to the MoPho was the beefier specs (including RAM...which proved to be uber important once I became an app addict).

My most recent jump to the Note 2 was primarily for Motorola turning its back on the MoPho (partially understandable due to Sprint's move to LTE) and the fact that I couldn't unlock the bootloader (due to a Motorola snafu on the last software update, that prevented the phone from being able to unlock). LTE, I wasn't a huge importance for me, it was more-so making sure I got the right phone upgrade (for my last gold premiere upgrade) for all my needs.

I can officially say that I no longer distrust Samsung's support. Sprint was 1st of all the providers to send through the OTA for the multi-tasking/multi-window feature on the Note 2. This phone took what I loved about Android and seriously brought it to a whole different level. Couple that with the quad-core power and 2GB RAM, the only thing missing from this thing is the higher internal storage versions being sold in Korea only (would've loved to have 128gb total...well, more like 113gb). As much as I loved my experiences with the MoPho, even with my battery life going from great to awful (still loved it until the day I hard reset to give it back on my buy back), the Note II is an amazing device. Even though I didn't have a problem watching media on a 4.3 inch device, watching on a 5.5 (really closer to 5.6, based on specs) is day and night! It'll be extremely hard for me to go back to anything less, unless they make the next generation Note devices too big (this is really the limit that I'd go, as far as physical attributes). The last thing that I've missed SO much from the EVO days, is the activity in the Note 2 forums. Even leading up to the MoPho's debut, the activity wasn't anywhere near what the Note 2 forum is like. The Note 2 forum brings me back to the days in the EVO forums where there were so many of us fanatical about the device.

Upvote 0
I've been extremely happy with Android, ever since I made the jump. With the EVO, only reason for the jump to the MoPho was the beefier specs (including RAM...which proved to be uber important once I became an app addict).

My most recent jump to the Note 2 was primarily for Motorola turning its back on the MoPho (partially understandable due to Sprint's move to LTE) and the fact that I couldn't unlock the bootloader (due to a Motorola snafu on the last software update, that prevented the phone from being able to unlock). LTE, I wasn't a huge importance for me, it was more-so making sure I got the right phone upgrade (for my last gold premiere upgrade) for all my needs.

I can officially say that I no longer distrust Samsung's support. Sprint was 1st of all the providers to send through the OTA for the multi-tasking/multi-window feature on the Note 2. This phone took what I loved about Android and seriously brought it to a whole different level. Couple that with the quad-core power and 2GB RAM, the only thing missing from this thing is the higher internal storage versions being sold in Korea only (would've loved to have 128gb total...well, more like 113gb). As much as I loved my experiences with the MoPho, even with my battery life going from great to awful (still loved it until the day I hard reset to give it back on my buy back), the Note II is an amazing device. Even though I didn't have a problem watching media on a 4.3 inch device, watching on a 5.5 (really closer to 5.6, based on specs) is day and night! It'll be extremely hard for me to go back to anything less, unless they make the next generation Note devices too big (this is really the limit that I'd go, as far as physical attributes). The last thing that I've missed SO much from the EVO days, is the activity in the Note 2 forums. Even leading up to the MoPho's debut, the activity wasn't anywhere near what the Note 2 forum is like. The Note 2 forum brings me back to the days in the EVO forums where there were so many of us fanatical about the device.
If I didn't know any better I would've thought I wrote this whole post; especially the last part. :D

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
The Samsung Moment did it for me... At that time it was a battle between the Hero and the Moment and coming from a Sidekick 2008 I knew I wanted the convenience of a keyboard so the Moment came out on top... Needless to say the Epic 4G's keyboard lagging caused me to grow out of the keyboard stage so I got the GS2 and my GS3 is on the way!

Upvote 0
it was the samsung instincts fault. I heard about a cool replacement phone a few days prior to its launch ....the HTC Evo 4g. I waited out front of a Best Buy store from 3 am till they opened. I got the one and only device they had available. since then it has been a long list of android phones and tablets on multiple carriers....tons of rom and kernel flashes and many cases later I now have the original note lg viper and note 2 in service.

Upvote 0
My smartphone obsession began with the BlackBerry Curve, BlackBerry Bold, brief forays with the Palm Pre and the Blackjack 2, after a decade with ATT I decided to move on and found Virgin Mobile being the first prepaid carrier with Android, the beautifully regrettable Intercept, then the Wildfire S, Triumph and now the Evo V.

Upvote 0
I was a long time Iphone user and had just bought the Iphone 4 ( I had owned the 3 previous devices). I was getting a bit tired of the IOS experience and was looking for someting different.

I had been reading lot about Android, and this new phone on Sprint called the HTC EVO 4G on Engadget, and finally decided return the I4 and give it try.

I was also a long time At&t customer and wasn't exactly happy with At&t's pricing plans so I thought I would give Sprint a try. Well over 2 years later I'm still with Sprint and still loving Android on my SIII.

Upvote 0
I was a long time Iphone user and had just bought the Iphone 4 ( I had owned the 3 previous devices). I was getting a bit tired of the IOS experience and was looking for someting different.

I had been reading lot about Android, and this new phone on Sprint called the HTC EVO 4G on Engadget, and finally decided return the I4 and give it try.

I was also a long time At&t customer and wasn't exactly happy with At&t's pricing plans so I thought I would give Sprint a try. Well over 2 years later I'm still with Sprint and still loving Android on my SIII.

It's always great to have someone post that has come from an ecosystem other than ANDROID & can have objective observations of the PROS & CONS of both O/S.:D

Upvote 0
My first smartphone was the HTC Mogul. Loved that thing, even if it WAS Windows Mobile. My wife upgraded at the time to the HTC Hero. After having to try supporting her phone when I didn't have that OS, and when the keyboard on my Mogul just couldn't be salvaged anymore, we both upgraded to the HTC Evo 3D. That is what actually got me hooked on Android. Considering I ran my Mogul for more than 3 years, I was surprised at just how quickly I got into Android. So much better than the old WinMo.

I've tried iPhones, but they just never grabbed me in any way. The new Windows phones aren't bad, but I think I will be sticking with Android for the foreseeable future. The Hero was hampered by a small screen and severe lack of memory, but still had its charms. The only other one I had was the Samsung E4GT, which was a nightmare of terrible radios, and cheap feel. Their overlay would have seriously put me off Android if I hadn't seen that other manufacturers did it better.
That's one thing I love about Android. Choice.

Upvote 0
Recently convinced one of my co-workers to get the Note 2 (coming from iPhone 4) and he's happy, even without having really used the phone at all or knowing anything about android OS (had already shown him some shortcut methods that aren't capable on the iPhone, especially when it comes to multi-tasking).

Today, my co-worker was asking me about my phone, asking if it was a "Galaxy," and I ended up convincing her and another co-worker to upgrade to the Note 2 as soon as they're eligible.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones