• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What T-Mobile's shake-up means for prepaid smartphone service

You misunderstood. GV voicemail *is* available for Unplans. Simply put, it's like this:

Postpaid plans *do* include call forwarding.
Prepaid plans *do not* include call forwarding.

Thank you for clarifying. I did understand correctly, but expressed myself poorly. I am looking at the Unplans (prepaid) and currently use Google Voice for ONLY v-mail. I use my VW number for everything else. My current situation would need to change and I'd go with, I think, TMobile's visual voicemail solution.

Upvote 0
Does someone have the direct link to the prepaid plans? I still can't find the "link labeled "Pay in Advance" at the very bottom-right of the home page."

The link was part of that small magenta ribbon that is situated over the Activate a T-Mobile Phone and Refill Your Mobile Account links. It hasn't worked for a week.

Makes one wonder...

Upvote 0
I understand the 5gb cap for the 30$ prepaid plan is not supported but I have a question for anyone currently in that tier of the plans. Does their mobile hotspot function actual operate effectively or no?
Dont use tethering often, but in feb I tethered at least 2.5gbs of data, in march I used tethering twice probably only a few mbs worth.
But since the plan change I have not tried it.
my phone has custom rom, cm10.1 and its built in wifi hotspot has worked flawlessly.

Upvote 0
I understand the 5gb cap for the 30$ prepaid plan is not supported but I have a question for anyone currently in that tier of the plans. Does their mobile hotspot function actual operate effectively or no?

There is no 'cap' on the $30/month prepaid plan.

This plan (available only online the T-Mobile web site, or at Walmart) provides high speed data up to 5Gb. If this threshold is reached during the month, the speed drops to what you would see on the EDGE (2G) network. 200Kb would be at the high end of EDGE speeds.

I actually exceeded 200Kb recently, on the EDGE network using the Speedtest.net Android app, to T-Mobile's Speedtest server in NYC (Manhattan), from a location in southeastern Connecticut.

Upvote 0
Look like T-Mobile's Pre-Paid plan has lost one of its biggest incentives. The prices have now sky rocketed for phones. Every phone listed on postpaid is cheaper then if you bought it prepaid by a pretty large margin. Look at the L9, Note II or the Nexus 4. All are $50 more on prepaid then if you bought it post paid. It really seems like they want to get rid of its prepaid service.
Prepaid Phones | Pay as You Go Prepaid Cell Phones | T-Mobile

Upvote 0
Look like T-Mobile's Pre-Paid plan has lost one of its biggest incentives. The prices have now sky rocketed for phones. Every phone listed on postpaid is cheaper then if you bought it prepaid by a pretty large margin. Look at the L9, Note II or the Nexus 4. All are $50 more on prepaid then if you bought it post paid. It really seems like they want to get rid of its prepaid service.
Prepaid Phones | Pay as You Go Prepaid Cell Phones | T-Mobile
I think they just want to try to generate some income from there lower tiered monthly plans, also they want an incentive for people to continue on post paid. They give you cheaper phones and a no interest loan they may keep people on rather then losing them to prepaid.

Oh and really what incentive does anyone on prepay have to buy phone such as the nexus 4 from t mobile when they can get it from google much cheaper.
I already listed many reasons a person would do this but for the prepay crowd who are mostly about saving money buying from t mobile would not happen as much.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones