• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What Tmobile Plan You are On?

LunchBB

Android Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2011
Just curious which data plan everybody is on with Tmobile. I had the G1 Unlimited Data Plan for $25 and now switch to the $39 unlimited voice+data and $20 5GB data plan. I kicked myself switching away from the G1 plan as it doesn't have any soft cap. errrr....

Looks like what I have was the "Preferred Android Web" unlimited data plan for $20. It might or might not have a 5GB throttled. Some people has it and some don't. This plan is only available to customers staying with Tmo at least 2 year. Regular CS rep won't have access to it. Only the Retention department be able to put you on.

Upvote 0
I just sold my Triumph I used on Virgin for a few months for $25 dollars.

I'm one of those people who have made the jump to the $30 dollar Unlim 4G (5gb soft cap), 100 minutes, unlim. text plan.

I bought the phone outright, $549 dollars.
Sold the triumph for $269, evens out to the cost of just another phone.

I do miss the Miui.

Upvote 0
I'd offer that the value plan beats all of them. I've got five lines, unlimited text, 1K minutes, two smartphone data plans @ 2GB soft cap for $95/mo before corp discount of 15%. When you do the math and find out how much more you're paying for the "subsidized" phone, it'll take your breath away. Did for me, at least - the change dropped my monthly cost by right at $50, and over two years I'll have saved $1200. That'll pay for my new phone PLUS the ETF I had on another line. If you add in the "subsidized" cost (what I would have paid on the regular plan), throw in another ~$225-$250 or so ( depending on phone), and the total comes up to just over $1400 saved.

Won't promise it works out for everyone that way, but it was a no-brainer for us once I sat down, crunched the numbers, and did the comparison. You just have to learn to get over the "sticker shock" of buying a "non-subsidized" phone.

Upvote 0
I'd offer that the value plan beats all of them. I've got five lines, unlimited text, 1K minutes, two smartphone data plans @ 2GB soft cap for $95/mo before corp discount of 15%. When you do the math and find out how much more you're paying for the "subsidized" phone, it'll take your breath away. Did for me, at least - the change dropped my monthly cost by right at $50, and over two years I'll have saved $1200. That'll pay for my new phone PLUS the ETF I had on another line. If you add in the "subsidized" cost (what I would have paid on the regular plan), throw in another ~$225-$250 or so ( depending on phone), and the total comes up to just over $1400 saved.

Won't promise it works out for everyone that way, but it was a no-brainer for us once I sat down, crunched the numbers, and did the comparison. You just have to learn to get over the "sticker shock" of buying a "non-subsidized" phone.
There are times when the classic plans still make sense, though. For example, when there's a promotion bringing down high-end smartphone prices to free/$0.01 and you want to get one for the whole family. :)

The $95 value plan would cost $150 on an equivalent classic plan - $55 more per month or $1,320 over the course of the contract. That gives you an average device allowance of $264 + activation/upgrade fee. If your total out of pocket device costs is less than or equal to $1,320 + activation/upgrade fees, better to go with the value plan. If it's more than that, then you can save with the classic plan (at least for the 2-year life of the contract).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones