• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What's the best file explorer to replace es file explorer

Baronjame86

Lurker
Jul 17, 2023
I see es file explorer was removed from Google play unclear why or if it will return

I download cx file explorer which seems like a good replacement

What's the best non buggy file explorer currently in people's options currently

Does Samsung have a built in one I see something in my phone I think pre installed called my files but it doesn't seem to show all folders like es file explorer or cx file explorer

I see es file explorer was removed from Google play unclear why or if it will return

I download cx file explorer which seems like a good replacement

What's the best non buggy file explorer currently in people's options currently

Does Samsung have a built in one I see something in my phone I think pre installed called my files but it doesn't seem to show all folders like es file explorer or cx file explorer
they got banned from the Play store because of "click fraud", among other things.

i do not really need an in depth file manager. i just use the one that came with my z fold 4, but here are some suggestions:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've also used Solid Explorer for a long time. I also have X-Plore, which has a rather funky interface but is very functional once you get the hang of it, and Root Explorer (which you don't need if you aren't rooted, but the same developer does a free version without the root capabilities). The first and last of that trio are more conventional in their appearance, and all 3 have 2 tabs you can switch between by swiping across the screen (useful if you are copying from one location to another: open the origin in one view, the destination in the other, select, copy, switch, paste. I no longer remember whether ES did that). If you are using a tablet X-Plore with show you both side-by-side on the screen.

"My Files" is all that comes pre-installed on Samsung devices. Like many manufacturer apps it's pretty limited (the one on the Pixels is equally weak).

Upvote 0
I still use the oldest compatible version of ES, like 2.x from Android 2.x. still works. The APK for it is still hosted online.

ES, like a lot of apps, is a perfect example of how updates ruin everything. ES, along with CCleaner and QuickPic Gallery, all got snapped up by Cheetah Mobile, a known fraudster company selling folks' info to China.

Upvote 0
Apkmirror used to host version 3.x from Jelly Bean, it was also un-cheetah'd. Helps to Google the actual version. Such as 'ES File explorer 3.0 apk and it should show the apkmirror link, but you'll have to dig deeper into apkmirror's history since it won't display that specific version up front.

I'd turn off auto updates from Play Store though once you get it. Because it updated mine twice to the crap version without warning not too long ago and I had to uninstall and reinstall and then kill play store.

Upvote 0
I've seen xplore mentioned, which is really nice and has tons of uncommon options, including sftp which comes in very handy as my main home desktop runs a Linux os. If you don't need all the weird stuff, Simple Tools has a real nice file manager, I really like his stuff because its all ad free, which is marketing genious, as I'm sure I'm not the only one who's paid the one dollar each for the various tools of his that I use because I think it's cool that it's ad free.

Upvote 0
I think there were security concerns about ES if you used it over a network (this is memory from some years ago, so can't be certain), but Google didn't remove it over that. Defrauding advertisers was what did it, probably because Google are primarily an advertising company (that is where the majority of their revenues come from).

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones