• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What's your favorite grocery shopping app?

PattiCakeUS

Android Expert
May 24, 2010
Minneapolis, Minnesota
I've been using Out of Milk for years & have been pretty happy with it. There have been a couple recent updates where users aren't happy, so I'm holding off on updating & thought I'd explore other options. There are a lot of choices out there, some with not many ratings, but they might be newer apps.

Tell me which app you use for your grocery lists, & why you like it more than other options. I also don't care if an app is free or not - if I find something I really like I'm happy to pay to support the developer.

Must have:
*Create multiple lists where I can check off items as I purchase them
*Web interface, so I can make updates from my PC if I want to
*Sync my list with other phones (both Android & iPhone)

Nice to have:
*Ability to search within the app to find items on sale at my local stores (OoM has/had this but it might have been removed since it's not working on my un-updated version - it was handy to see who had Pepsi on sale!)
*Barcode scanner to add items to list
*One thing OoM doesn't have that I'd love, would be a way to combine lists. I buy my groceries either at Cub or Target - but if I'm at Target I might also buy light bulbs or a purse. Rather than have duplicate lists of grocery items for both stores, I'd like to have one list of items & sort by the store name to show just the items I might buy from that store. I don't know if any of these apps do this?

My family has been using "Our Groceries" for years.

It meets your 3 "Must have" requirements.

As far as the Nice-to-have's...
  • I don't think you can search for local sale items.
  • It has a bar-code scanner.
  • I'm not sure I understand your goal but it doesn't have a 2-tier sort hierarchy, if that's what you mean. See below...
I guess I use "Our Groceries" differently than you use OoM. I have multiple shopping lists by store or store-type. For example:
  • Costco.
  • Asian grocery store.
  • Electronics store.
  • Auto-parts store.
  • Hardware store.
  • Walmart/Target.
  • Supermarket.
  • Produce Market.
  • Benchmark price list. (Not really a shopping list. It just lets me easily check if the sale price at Acme is as good as the normal Costco price.)
  • Ski weekend packing list. (Not a shopping list.)
  • Household chore To-Do List. (Not a shopping list.)
  • Kids chore To-Do List. (Not a shopping list.)

For the most part I tend to only buy certain things from certain stores so I don't pile everything into one list. There may be some overlap, so if I'm at Walmart, I'll go through the Walmart shopping list, but I'll also check the Costco list for items that are comparably priced (e.g. milk, but not beer).

I love that that the account is shareable, so anybody in my family can add items and they appear/disappear on the PCs (web interface) or phones instantly. My wife or kids can add items while I drive to the store. My wife & I can save time by shopping from opposite ends of the store, crossing-off items as we go (and seeing each other's cross-offs instantly as we work towards each other) until the list is done.

Upvote 0
I have been using Grocery Shopper Free for a couple of years now.

I find it quite convenient to use. It may not have all the bells and whistles of OoM, but I just need a simple and quick to use, functional app. I can create multiple shopping lists, search items by name, set usual shops, add items, set photos for items. It also has barcode scanner, which I have used many times. I can also save frequently used shopping lists as templates for reuse. This app does not have PC/web companion. But I can share shopping lists with others using email or text. It also has shopping list export/import option. I have tried that a couple of times by sending the export file to others for importing - and it works.

Reactions: PattiCakeUS
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones