• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What's your power settings on the Droid X?

It should, redgtconv. The screen is what eats at the battery the most, or so various DX users say.

is this spam? the guy doesn't have the phone! " but hes getting it" people are looking for help! try looking for the, "when i mow enough lawns im gonna get the DX" every where i look hes got some back ass comment.. sorry i lost it when he said. "lets not turn this into a pic thread" while he was in the pic thread... get the phone play with it for a while.... learn somethings....untill then keep playing with your LG>>

Upvote 0
By completely blindsiding me with an unnecessary comment like that, you end up being the spammer in the process. I was not spamming or trolling in any way. I'm only here trying to help and give my input with what I've learned from this very forum and its users.

My comment in the picture thread was an accident. If you read my post following it you will know why it happened and see that I spoke up about it.

I don't see why you need to be so rude when everyone else has such a positive attitude. If you want to be angry, please go take it out somewhere else and on your own time. I don't deserve that kind of attitude from you, or anyone else for that matter. Insulting me doesn't get anyone anywhere and it definitely doesn't help the purpose of this thread.

The phone has already been ordered and processed. I'm just waiting for it to be shipped. You basically just told me that I shouldn't talk about things that I don't fully comprehend or understand. Way to follow your own advice.

Please don't bother going go off-topic in a thread again, just for the sake of attacking me. I will no longer respond or acknowledge you in any way if you do. If you want to let me know that I'm a bother, do so in a PM from now on.

Upvote 0
Got my widgets updating, wifi, gps, and sync always on. Use only live wallpaper and I have it in battery smart mode with my data timing out at 15 minutes with no task killer and I get 34 to 24 hours of battery life. Depends on how I use my phone. Now if I use my phone to surf, play games, and watch movies 95% of the time then ofcourse it would drain maybe in 12-15 hours but thats not realistic.

Now I know some people say with this new type of battery you dont have to train it when you first get it. But I drained my battery about 4 times and when I first got my phone it would only last 5 hours but now I get 34. Worked for me.

Upvote 0
I think that a good metric to go by would be to actually list out the Display time and Voice Calls time. Barring the presence of Maps or another battery munching program showing up on the Battery Use list, these two seem to be the big culprits.

For me, I'll either get about 3 hours of Display time (with almost no Voice Calls), or about 2 hours of Display time with around 1 hour of Voice Calls. The numbers seem fairly consistent, with my combined use time (between Voice and Display) being around 3 hours.

With Social Networking set to update only over Wifi, no Live Wallpaper, Auto Sync off (but Background Data on), I can get any length of usage time I want, provided that I don't greatly exceed this 3 hour combo.

As an example, here's my current battery stats:

1 day 5 hours 2 minutes since unplugged

Voice Calls 57% (1 hour, 36 mins)
Display 25% (2 hours, 7 mins)
Cell Standby 17% (1 day, 22 hours, 22 mins)
(Time without a signal = 39%)
Phone Idle 4% (1 day, 2 hours, 54 minutes)

Battery is currently at 30%.

Upvote 0
I just installed Set CPU from the market. I had been using it on the original droid to overclock but my DX isn't configured to OC so I am experimenting with underclocking while the phone is asleep to 600mhz. You don't want to go too low because your phone can sometimes be slow to wake which is annoying.

I have power profile set to smart, with manual screen brightness at the lowest setting. Also syncing is turned off and I only have one facebook account linked with the app as far as background social networking. Wifi only used in short bursts of 15 minutes and then turned off. Very little 3G use to update apps.

Those that are serious about having maximum control over their memory usage and background services should get the free app "Auto Memory Manager" by Mad Squirrel. This app lets you set priorities on a custom level, telling the Android OS what apps and services take priority over others and when.

This app is extremely useful because it is not a carte blanc task killer as commonly found on the market. Your battery life worsens as these services and background processes startup again under direction from the Android OS. Once you get in and tinker and tell the OS what to do you have a finer degree of control than anything out there.

I'll report back with my battery statistics after a full charge.

Upvote 0
I just installed Set CPU from the market. I had been using it on the original droid to overclock but my DX isn't configured to OC so I am experimenting with underclocking while the phone is asleep to 600mhz. You don't want to go too low because your phone can sometimes be slow to wake which is annoying.

According to System Panel, my Droid X idles at around 350 MHz.

Upvote 0
According to System Panel, my Droid X idles at around 350 MHz.

So are you saying that there is no need for using third party root apps to tweak android? I was playing with the idea of uninstalling all that stuff but I will wait for Froyo so I can see what a clean slate is like first. Only a matter of time before I root again though.

Upvote 0
So are you saying that there is no need for using third party root apps to tweak android? I was playing with the idea of uninstalling all that stuff but I will wait for Froyo so I can see what a clean slate is like first. Only a matter of time before I root again though.
Nah, I was just saying that having the CPU run at 600 MHz when the phone is asleep might actually be detrimental to battery life as, at least from my observations, a stock Droid X downclocks to around 350 MHz when idle with the screen on.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones