• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help when browsing internet, left and right side of screen causes browser to zoom into middle of screen?

There's quite a few iOS users here (past & present) that may be able to help out w/the SMS/MMS issues,along w/a lot of seasoned ANDROID users who'll sure be more than willing to offer answers for your issues.
This time of year may not be the best for getting responses,but,a PM to some of the users who you see here that are knowledgeable (typically the higher the post count individuals) may render a speedier resolution to your issues.

Reactions: mdw
Upvote 0
-Most of my friends and family have iphones, and my group messaging

Give GoSMS a try. I've read about that and Handcent, but GoSMS supposedly works better. I have used GoSMS, but not for group chats.

-I made a separate thread about this, but all my pictures/videos uploaded sideways/upside down, so I need to figure that out.

Mine does this as well. It's odd. My Note 1 didn't do this. I don't have an answer for you, unfortunately. The camera is one app I haven't spent much time exploring, yet.

-Also, as I understand, to get the full benefit of the Android experience, I need to use the Chrome browser on my PC to fully sync things, use cloud features, etc. For some reason on my PC, my Chrome browser stopped playing sound on videos. After some Googling, I changed some settings, which fixed the sound on some videos, but stopped playing other videos altogether. So I've changed to Firefox on my PC, and can't get the full benefit (from what I understand, I'm still learning).

FireFox Sync will do the same things as Chrome (syncing bookmarks, paswords, etc). Check it out: Firefox Sync. If you already use and prefer FireFox then it's a good alternative to switching to Chrome.

Upvote 0
After reading through this thread and another, I've come to the conclusion that the Note 2 might not be the right phone for you, especially if all of your friends and family have iPhones and messaging is a big part of your life. Yes, there are workarounds, but if they don't work seamlessly for you then you'll just be annoyed and not enjoy the experience, no matter how good the phone is at other things. It sounds like you're 'having to deal' a lot more than just enjoying what the phone can do.

Each platform does things a certain way to make it more attractive to stay than to switch. That said, I think it's easier to go from an Android phone to an iPhone than the reverse. iOS is closed, with proprietary ways of doing things (eg. messaging; same goes for BBM). There are 'open' alternatives, but it's easier for everyone with an iPhone to use iMessage than to switch to WhatsApp, Facebook messaging, Google + messaging, Google Talk, etc. so that they can easily chat with people who aren't using iPhones. This is by design.

There are workarounds for everything, but if they detract from your overall enjoyment of the phone (and especially if you're having to find workarounds for what are, to you, the most important abilities of the phone) then what's the point?

If it's just that you're still trying to adjust to a different way of doing things then that's fine, but I don't get that sense. I get the sense that not only are things different, they're "worse."

Upvote 0
After reading through this thread and another, I've come to the conclusion that the Note 2 might not be the right phone for you, especially if all of your friends and family have iPhones and messaging is a big part of your life. Yes, there are workarounds, but if they don't work seamlessly for you then you'll just be annoyed and not enjoy the experience, no matter how good the phone is at other things. It sounds like you're 'having to deal' a lot more than just enjoying what the phone can do.

Each platform does things a certain way to make it more attractive to stay than to switch. That said, I think it's easier to go from an Android phone to an iPhone than the reverse. iOS is closed, with proprietary ways of doing things (eg. messaging; same goes for BBM). There are 'open' alternatives, but it's easier for everyone with an iPhone to use iMessage than to switch to WhatsApp, Facebook messaging, Google + messaging, Google Talk, etc. so that they can easily chat with people who aren't using iPhones. This is by design.

There are workarounds for everything, but if they detract from your overall enjoyment of the phone (and especially if you're having to find workarounds for what are, to you, the most important abilities of the phone) then what's the point?

If it's just that you're still trying to adjust to a different way of doing things then that's fine, but I don't get that sense. I get the sense that not only are things different, they're "worse."

Perhaps you are right, thank you for your insight. One feature that may have sold me was multi window... but my browser nor my texting app support multi window! XD Jeez... everytime I get excited, my hopes get shot down by the tech lol. I will likely return it.

Upvote 0
Perhaps you are right, thank you for your insight. One feature that may have sold me was multi window... but my browser nor my texting app support multi window! XD Jeez... everytime I get excited, my hopes get shot down by the tech lol. I will likely return it.

Maybe you could check for some YOUTUBE videos on the features that are giving you issues.

We'd hate to see you go,but,if another phone works better for you,that's understandable & we all wish you well.

Please keep us posted on your final(?)* decision.

*Both the NOTE3 & SGS IV are rumored to be available sometime in '13,maybe one of those will be the one that works for you.:D

Upvote 0

I see an iPhone 5 in your future ;) I think Android is great, but no one platform is for everyone. Each comes with a different set of strengths and annoyances. It sounds like you gave it a good go and actually tried hard to make it work, which is great. It looks like you might have some useful feedback for the Android development team over at Google, though.

Upvote 0
Back to the original problem. I think I know what it is. In Settings -> Motion -> Uncheck the Tilt to Zoom box and see if that fixed it. I was testing it today and apparently you don't really need to tilt on browser to zoom in.. all you need to do is randomly move your finger up and down on part of the screen.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones