• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root When did you start tring to root vs when you actually got root.

Have you rooted your phone

• Total voters

Piiman

Android Expert
May 28, 2010
First off I want to see the failure rate and second I'm hoping to find a pattern to this madness.

Anyways How did it take you to get root?

If you've been successful please least
Where you got the drivers SDK, HTC, GOOGLE
What OS
What method
Did you have to beat your dog first etc etc

I'm hoping to find a pattern to this madness.

Also if anyone lives in Sarasota FL and was successful getting root I'd like to come visit you.

Thanks all

I tried on and off since the root method was discovered, I finally got it about an hour ago. So not sure where I fit into your poll.

Used the SDK drivers
8GB SD card from my Storm
I used a mixture of methods but i think what finally did it for me was I slowed way down how fast I pushed the SD card in and out. I had to go very slow.

I was about to go buy the pny sd card from walmart or just give up but I knew I could do it if I just didnt give up.

Upvote 0
I tried on and off since the root method was discovered, I finally got it about an hour ago. So not sure where I fit into your poll.

Used the SDK drivers
8GB SD card from my Storm
I used a mixture of methods but i think what finally did it for me was I slowed way down how fast I pushed the SD card in and out. I had to go very slow.

I was about to go buy the pny sd card from walmart or just give up but I knew I could do it if I just didn't give up.

Yeah I kind of added the poll as an ofter thought but I think you would fit into yes even though it didn't work like a charm.

I'm really interested in
1. the failure rate
2. Any thing that might be a clue as to how to make it more reliable
3. Get root on my phone!

thanks

OH and congratulations on your root baby!

Upvote 0
I had been trying since the first method was released. Finally got root a couple of days ago with a bit of luck.:D

I used the HTC Sync program from their website.

I got to bootloader with no memory card inserted. Selected recovery option and waited for about 6 or 7 seconds to insert memory card, right before my compter made the sound for picking up a device. There was a flicker on the white htc screen at about the same time I inserted the memory card. Followed the 10 minute video after. Took me about 10 attempts. It seems to have a lot to do with the timing on when you insert the SD card.

I used a 2gb PNY card from Best Buy. No luck with my 16gb San Disk.

Upvote 0
I got root after five days
I uninstalled HTC sync and used the pda.net drivers. Those drivers are good because they tell you whenever your device was connected to adb through a notification.

Also I used the sd card trick to get the phone recognized while in recovery it takes a few tries but it will work after a while. after that all I did was follow the ten minute guide and that was it. Looking back this process isnt THAT hard. Its just getting the correct drivers and getting the phone recognized in recovery that's the hard part after that its like butter. Dont give up guys

Upvote 0
1. the failure rate

I tried following the 10 minute video for n00bs and had no luck. I'd say I worked at it for 2 or so hours one night.

I read a few posts the next day and read about the suggestion of pushing the card in right after the usb noise, but before the black screen. I succeeded on my second try using this method.

I have tried to get the adb shell since then using this same method with no success. I read a suggestion that one remove all of the root related files from the memory card to make it work again, but I have no plans to do that (If it ain't broke..).

2. Any thing that might be a clue as to how to make it more reliable

Using the current methods, timing and/or luck seem to be keys. If this was strictly a timing thing, I'd think I'd be able to repeat my success since I managed to do it once.

3. Get root on my phone!

Well, the Unrevoked people say that an easier method is coming soon. Like many of the people on these forums, I become obsessed with things like this and have to try until I succeed. When I did succeed, I tested wifi and the flashlight app and haven't used root since. There are no ROMs available so unless you have some hugely pressing need for wifi (tether with usb or bluetooth for now), I'd try to wait for the easier method if you are having trouble with the current methods. Consider it an exercise in patience.. Fight back against your "geek mania". :)

Upvote 0
3. Get root on my phone!

Well, the Unrevoked people say that an easier method is coming soon. Like many of the people on these forums, I become obsessed with things like this and have to try until I succeed. When I did succeed, I tested wifi and the flashlight app and haven't used root since. There are no ROMs available so unless you have some hugely pressing need for wifi (tether with usb or bluetooth for now), I'd try to wait for the easier method if you are having trouble with the current methods. Consider it an exercise in patience.. Fight back against your "geek mania". :)

I'm with you but my geek mania is strong and wants to root just because.:D As soon as I do I'm writing up a post on how I did it. I already know it will only be 4 words long........... Here's a preview....."I FINALLY GOT LUCKY!" Maybe I'll add a WOOOHOOO in there for the real review. You know spice it up a little :D

Upvote 0
I tried for a week, then some one said they used the 2gb PNY card from walmart so I bought one last night and then it worked, it did not like my 16 gb card I got from Amazon, when I bought the phone, so I have been able to get the root twice, but the second time around I had too delete everything off the 2gb card then it worked again, then I removed all of the worthless apps facebook, tweet, footprints etc, and has worked perfect.:D

oops sorry

I used the 10 min video guide
Dell studio windows 7 64 bit
I used the 10 min video guide zip file
sdk drivers
2gb PNY card from walmart

Upvote 0
I started trying the day we got root and just got it on Thursday. I went though 7 or 8 sd cards, installed and uninstalled all the drivers so many times I lost count, total, I probably spent 15 to 20 hours trying to get root. After all that, I finally went out and bought a pny 4gb class 4 sd card and it worked on the 4th try.

I have XP SP3, used the SDK drivers and just did the original method, no loop.bat, no clicking in and out the sd card and it worked great. From what it seems, the sd card is by far the most important aspect in getting the root process to work.

Upvote 0
If you've been successful please least
Where you got the drivers SDK, HTC, GOOGLE
What OS
What method
Did you have to beat your dog first etc etc

SDK Drivers
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
"10 min root complete guide"
Beat my unborn children

I finally got myself! But it seems like SU is a little flaky.
I can't get Wifi tether to work . Titanium backup said it couldn't get root but then downloaded a "known good version of busybox" and now it works
Jiucedefender says I have root but can load it's AOSP Help or something like that.

I did get wifi "N" working and I must say it kicks ass.

Anyways

I finally got it after my 8g Sandisk SD arrived.
I gave it a couple shots of the push/pull SD method and it didn't work.
So while I was formatting another SD I decided to use the 10 minute video again (used it weeks ago) didn't rewally expect it to work
Started the loop and booted to recovery. You'll hear the two driver detected sounds windows makes, the same ones you listen for when doing the push in SD method, And after the second sound and about 3-5 seconds later I get into recovery. freaked me right out I couldn't believe I had finally gotten it. I was afraid to move for fear of knocking the cable out or something. :D

I've repeated it 10 times now and I get it 1st try 99% of the time...so far.

So
10 minute video
8g SanDisk new but had files on it, about half full.
Win 7 64 bit
Drivers where from the sdk
Beat the dog.....It can't hurt....Well the dog may disagree but you got to do what you got to do. :D

UPDATE:
It looks like SU is fine and that it just happened that the first three apps I downloaded had problems.(go figure) All others apps have run fine with SU permission since.
My dog has also forgotten about the beating and is my friend again!

Upvote 0
Took me a couple hours, i tried everything. Finally i uninstalled the htc drivers, reinstalled them, rebooted pc, used a pny 2gb sd card formatted by phone > windows explorer to fat and then to fat32, and then finally after about a dozen more tries i found the correct timing. I've got back into it a couple times since finding the correct timing for my setup.

Upvote 0
I did it using the 10min root method. It took just under 30mins because I had to pause the video a few times and rewind to make sure I was doing the instructions correctly. I have a Transcend 16gb class 6 micro SD card, with all my extra garbage on it(music, emulator ROMS, etc...).

I used a machine that I didn't already have the SDK or HTC sync installed on and it is running 32 bit WinXP pro SPK3.

Good luck everybody!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones