• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Where is the clipboard

GBoard, the default Android keyboard has a clipboard. When the keyboard is displayed look for the clipboard icon, it might ask you to enable the clipboard if you've never used it.

If you're trying to paste text you just copied you can tap and hold where you're typing then release and it will show an option to paste.

Clip.jpg

Press and hold where you want to paste the text, and a menu pops up. If there is anything in the clipboard one of the options is "paste".

Some other keyboard apps also offer the sort of clipboard interface @kate describes for GBoard (e.g. I know SwiftKey does). Maybe check your keyboard's settings to see whether there is an option to show such a tool or toolbar.

Clipboard having an interface of its own to view the contents (e.g. in Settings, as you propose) isn't how it works in any of the operating systems I regularly use, which is basically all of the main ones apart from Windows. Some systems do allow you to install a "clipboard manager" app, which might be what you are thinking of, though I'd personally add the proviso "if you trust the developer" if you ever use the clipboard to copy and paste sensitive information (recent Android versions have added an option to alert you when an app accesses the clipboard for this reason).

What is the best keyboard? I am using Gboard right now but I want to switch. The reason why I have to see the clipboard is the same reason I want to see anything that disappears: why can't I find it and where did it go? Also, why are some pictures I take sideways and some are regular? I don't really want them sideways if I can help it.

Upvote 0
What is the best keyboard? I am using Gboard right now but I want to switch. The reason why I have to see the clipboard is the same reason I want to see anything that disappears: why can't I find it and where did it go? Also, why are some pictures I take sideways and some are regular? I don't really want them sideways if I can help it.
because the clipboard is like cache.....it is temporary. it gets over written each time you copy something. it can't save multiple copies of things, so i do not see a need to see what is in my clipboard. if i copy something, then i know that is what is in the clipboard. if i copy something else, then that over writes the previous copy. so again i do not see why you need to see it.

what phone do you have? are you turning the phone sideways when you take a picture?

Reactions: Dave012345678910
Upvote 0
it can't save multiple copies of things, so i do not see a need to see what is in my clipboard.

Replying a little late here... If you turn the Gboard clipboard on it will save multiple copies at the same time. You can copy 3 different words/sentences and it will remember all 3 for you to paste. :thumbsupdroid:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones