• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Which tablet?

Eugene

Android Expert
Dec 6, 2009
Got to borrow the pervious bosses ipad before a company re-org moved me around, was handy having a larger screen to work on so I want to buy a tablet. Looking at the Motorola Xoom or Xyboard or maybe the ASUS transformer, or somehting else. How does one decide which to get?
I won't but Samsung after dealing with their (lack of) customer service over a $500 home theater system and of course not Apple since I want to actaully be able to use it for myself or the kids too.

Unfortunately, you gotta do a little research to determine what's important to you. But, alot of the devices released last year all had the same innards, ie Tegra 2, 10.1" display, 1 GB RAM, running Gingerbread. The manufacturers tweaked their devices by offering an extra port, or slimmer design, or different skin. But at the end of the day, last year's devices are pretty much the same in my opinion.

Weight and form factor will be a differentiator, so I highly recommend getting to a store that has a decent selection and playing with each one. Also, I suggest checking out the Tablet Forums here and stick with a device which has a large amount of threads and comments (ie the Transformer or Galaxy). This should translate into a better community in case you encounter problems. I own the Lenovo Ideapad K1 and really like it, but there is very little discussion about the device and it has very little developer support. It's not a problem for me because I'm not rooted and basically use the tablet for reading, web, games, etc. But if you're gonna get into hacking the device, you should stick with something more popular.

As for the newest and greatest out right now, it's gotta be the Transformer Prime. Quad-core Tegra 3 in a sleek aluminum body makes for a pretty sweet device. But there have been complaints so do some research.

I hope this helps. Good luck picking a device.

Upvote 0
I am selling my Xoom WiFi (or trading it in if last resort) and getting a tablet w/ 4G service. (also ditching my Comcast internet 2go as the Verizon salesman said tablets have hotspot service included).

I was pretty hyped by the XBOARD 8.2 until I found that BOTH of the XYBOARDs have no SD Card slot. Sure, they connect to external storage, but no slot for a card? REALLY??? They are both instantly nixed from my list. That leaves the Samsung Galaxy Tab

Upvote 0
So why are you getting rid of the Xoom and does it have a card slot?

This forum is missing a general tablet and general phone sub forum, so many sub forums for each model but there needs to be one for general/comparison threads.

And working ads, I clicked on the xyboard ad at the top and it took me to apage explaining target ads when I actually wanted to see the xyboard ad, one would think an ad supported forum would have working ads.

Upvote 0

This forum is missing a general tablet and general phone sub forum, so many sub forums for each model but there needs to be one for general/comparison threads.

And working ads, I clicked on the xyboard ad at the top and it took me to apage explaining target ads when I actually wanted to see the xyboard ad, one would think an ad supported forum would have working ads.

There's a general tablet talk section found in our tablet device sub forums. But if you want comparisons or opinions on certain tablets it's probably best to go to the specific device forum and post a question or you can also ask here for more visibility if you want a lot of opinions.

Android Tablets & MIDs - Android Forums

If you have suggestions about the site layout, hit up the suggestion and feedback section. Phases does check in there for ideas from our members.

Anyways..sorry back to your original question. I would probably say the best tablet with everything included would be the asus transformer prime. IMO, it's the best full featured tablet out right now for Android.

Upvote 0
because it is WiFi only and I am moving to the 4G option so I can make use of the Verizon mobile hotspot and ditch my Comcast Internet2Go modem.
I would probably say the best tablet with everything included would be the asus transformer prime. IMO, it's the best full featured tablet out right now for Android.
Verizon 4G is the whole point of my changing tablets, so the Asus Transformer Prime is no option.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones