• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Which Time On to go by?

Reverence

Android Enthusiast
Jun 21, 2010
So my HTC Incredible use to have up time and awake time listed, but unfortunately, Motorola seems to only list up time since the last charge. My question is, what time on do you go by? I am trying to gauge my battery usage and figure out if there might be apps keeping the phone awake, but I can't tell.

For example, I've had my phone unplugged for a little bit. When I go into the battery statistics at the top it says 4h 42min 35s, which is the time it has been on since I unplugged it.
If I click Cell Standby it shows Time on as 4h 42min 35s, the same thing, since I'm assuming that means the amount of time that the cell radio has been on, which has been the whole time while the phone was on.
Now if I click phone idle, it says time on is 3h 51m 29s.
Now if I click display it says time on 51m 5s. (voice calls totaled 7 minutes)

So now, the phone idle time displayed means that the phone has just been sitting idle that amount of time, not being used. And the display time on means the phone screen was on and in use.

So pretty much if you add up the display time on and your voice calls, you get the usage time that the phone has been on.
The phone idle time on shows you how long the phone has been sitting idle.
The cell standby shows you how long since the cell radio has been on.

Do I have all that correct? And if I do, how do you go about telling if there is an app that is keeping your phone "awake"?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones