• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help White Alltel 601 on Virgin Mobile?

What would it take to use a white HTC Desire 601 that was originally on the Alltel network and move it over to Virgin Mobile?

I have a broken Virgin Mobile 601 on hand, and I'm intrigued by the used white ones available on E-bay. Can I just swap the SIM card from my broken phone into the used, white phone? Or is there more to the carrier lock than that?

Recall that these are CDMA phones and networks, so I'm a little concerned that SIM cards don't so readily swap between phones like I've heard that they do on GSM phones and networks.

Anybody have any experience in this matter?

Virgin Mobile uses a whitelist of the MEIDs of phones that were produced for their service. That alone would prevent a non-Virgin Mobile phone from being activated on the service.

Also, the SIM (UICC) card in a CDMA phone is only used for LTE. It doesn't transfer account information like a GSM SIM does.

Lastly, many phones aren't made to work on all GSM and CDMA network frequencies, so even if you made it past the MEID problem, it's possible the phone would be useless anyhow.

Reactions: EazySteve
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones