• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

White Hero staining issue

I bought my white Hero sim-free from Mobile Fun - Mobile Accessories, Bluetooth Headsets, SIM Free Mobiles, Ringtones, Games & more! along with a "Genuine HTC Starter Pack for the Hero" which consists of a leather case and 12V lead for use in the car. The retailer has a 30 day no quibble return guarantee. I kept the Hero in the case on my belt when I was out and about and noticed about a week later a couple of dirty marks on the bottom front of the Hero around the buttons...I tried to clean it off with a damp cloth and was surprised when they wouldn't clean off easily unless you rubbed really hard. Anyway I got them off eventually and carried on using it until a few days later when I noticed they had returned and realised it was happening because it was in contact with the inside of the case.
After paying

Upvote 0
John, that sounds like a bit of a nightmare! Unfortunately I'm not sure of the legalities of this situation, hopefully someone else on the forum will be though. I would keep pestering them though!

Just wondering how you eventually got the stains off the phone? I've tried wiping with a wet cloth but like you said this doesnt work!

Upvote 0
When I first had my White Hero & with no case, it picked up ink stains from being left on my desk/notepad when I was at work.

The stains removed themselves of their own accord after a few weeks.

FYI, I am using a Krusel pouch case bought off eBay/Amazon & this protects the phone well & has not caused any staining whatsoever.

Upvote 0
Have you tried using some melamine foam (i.e. Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, Scotch Brite Easy Erasing Pad)? Dampen the foam first. Should come right off.

Dan, the point as far as I'm concerned is we shouldn't need to use elbow grease and wonder cleaners to keep our Hero looking pristine.
I thought the whole point of a Teflon coating was that dirt wouldn't stick...as in non-stick frying pans...surely if you got a few grubby marks on it a slightly damp cloth should remove them?
I bought the white version as it was recommended to me by others who thought it looked great...which it did and it performed beautifully but after 10 days use it looked grubby around the button area at the bottom...now as my wife would tell you :D I'm the last person who would touch/handle anything expensive with dirty hands and it just looked like a cheap plastic toy after being carried around in the leather case.
The guy at customer services dealing with me has stated it is definitely not the HTC case causing the stains...he stated he knows that a white iPhone carried around in the same case doesn't get stained but that he knows the Hero does...so he is agreeing with me but I'm pretty sure when HTC or their distributor phones me tomorrow (as I've been told they will by my Hero supplier "as they want to "discuss" the issue") they'll deny it.

Upvote 0
Yes, I do agree with your points wholeheartedly. I got the white one as well, understanding that the teflon coating would keep it looking clean.

However, on a sticker on the box my phone came in is the following note:
"The back cover of your phone has been treated with a special coating to help keep it looking new and clean. Keep your phone dry to reduce the chances of dirt adhering to the finish. If the back of your phone gets dirty, remove the back cover in accordance with the instructions in the user manual and us a lightly dampened melamine foam eraser (aka. magic eraser) to remove any marks. After thoroughly drying the back cover, replace it on the phone."

(Their emphasis, not mine). This has nothing to do with the issue of your case causing staining (which I agree it should not do), I'm just passing along the information that came with my phone regarding cleaning it.

Upvote 0
My jeans dye transferred to my white hero within 3 days of getting the phone. I've had it for 1.5weeks now and yesterday I just used a Magic Eraser to remove the staining. Works well. It's annoying it gets stained at all, my iphone 3gs in white doesn't stain. Different material though.

Doh! I've been wondering what on earth is turning my hero blue. Never considered it might be my jeans. Cheers for the cleaning tips.

Upvote 0
Someone from HTC phoned me yesterday.
They've arranged for it to be picked up by UPS tomorrow and are replacing the white casing with as he called it the silver (graphite) one.
I asked him if I could get the brown casing but he said brown was exclusive to Orange and black to T-Mobile...I knew the black was T-Mobile only but I told him the brown Hero is widely available sim-free in the UK but he still said no :thinking:
Anyway, hoping I like the graphite colour as I've never seen one.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones