• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help White lines appearing on screen - possible screen problem

asdfasd

Dec 4, 2012
Hi all,

Over the last week I've noticed that when using my Note II I occasionally get a very bright white line that flashes horizontally onto the screen. On Friday it happened on 6 separate occasions, and has already happened twice today. I turned the phone off for a while over the weekend to see if it just needed a reset but it's still happening.

It primarily happens when I wake the phone up - usually by passing my hand over the phone so it shows the time etc, although it has also happened when using the phone. The bright white line only occurs on the bottom half of the screen. Recently it has been in the exact same spot, very close to the bottom of the screen. It flashes onto the screen and disappears very quickly.

It's difficult to tell whether the screen itself has an issue, or whether the phone is flashing this onto the screen. It almost looks like a loose wire somewhere. Any ideas what the problem could be? Because it's an intermittent problem I'd have trouble demonstrating it for anyone. I'm gutted because I'd just figured out the battery issue and love this phone.

Cheers.

If your still within your return period, don't play games and run back to where you purchased the phone from. Thats the calling card of a faulty display.

Thanks. It has a one year warranty which should cover this. It's just so annoying - I've just transferred all of my old notes, contacts etc onto this phone and now I'll have to take it back (and have an argument with the idiots at the store after I can't replicate the problem for them). Quality control these days is incredibly poor - almost everything I buy has some sort of problem with it. Frustrating!

Upvote 0
Thanks. It has a one year warranty which should cover this. It's just so annoying - I've just transferred all of my old notes, contacts etc onto this phone and now I'll have to take it back (and have an argument with the idiots at the store after I can't replicate the problem for them). Quality control these days is incredibly poor - almost everything I buy has some sort of problem with it. Frustrating!

I hear you, even though we have backup apps starting over can be a pain. Rest assured the phone will be on it's best behavior when you go back. QC is an issue for everyone unfortunately, even the mighty Apple has had it's share of black eyes.

Upvote 0
So will they probably try to fix the display rather than replace the phone? My concern is if they try to fix it they mightn't be able to replicate the problem, and I might just get told that it's fine.

If your still within a 14 or 30 day return window, you'll most likely get a replacement, if you are going through warranty then who knows. You may get a new one, screen replacement, or a refurbished device.

Upvote 0
Hi all,

Over the last week I've noticed that when using my Note II I occasionally get a very bright white line that flashes horizontally onto the screen. On Friday it happened on 6 separate occasions, and has already happened twice today. I turned the phone off for a while over the weekend to see if it just needed a reset but it's still happening.

It primarily happens when I wake the phone up - usually by passing my hand over the phone so it shows the time etc, although it has also happened when using the phone. The bright white line only occurs on the bottom half of the screen. Recently it has been in the exact same spot, very close to the bottom of the screen. It flashes onto the screen and disappears very quickly.

It's difficult to tell whether the screen itself has an issue, or whether the phone is flashing this onto the screen. It almost looks like a loose wire somewhere. Any ideas what the problem could be? Because it's an intermittent problem I'd have trouble demonstrating it for anyone. I'm gutted because I'd just figured out the battery issue and love this phone.

Cheers.

My device is experiencing the same problems, it fails to charge and I am seeing white lines across the lower quarter of the screen......:mad: Is the power jack shorting out my phone?

Upvote 0
I swapped out the the power cable and now it snaps in and charges fine, the white lines and screen gitches were happening only in power saving mode it seems. I'm past the return period, but I have insurance and the warranty..

I was looking through this thread again and noticed your comment about the white lines only occurring in power saving mode, so I turned off power saving mode on my phone and amazingly, I haven't had any problems with the white lines since.

Does this indicate that the white lines are actually caused by a software issue as opposed to a faulty screen? Surely if the screen was faulty this problem would occur regardless of whether or not the phone is in power saving mode. :thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones