• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Who are Tablets For?

First off I love my EVO and am an avid Android fan. That being said, I'm wondering who tablets are for? And maybe more specifically, why would I need/want one? I ask this because tablets seem pretty expensive and I'm wondering what they offer that my phone does not.

Android seems like they have this great opportunity to offer tablets significantly lower prices than the iPad, however, except for the Nook, we just haven't seen it. The extra data plans and these things get expensive real quick.

Just wanted to start some discussion on the topic. Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

the biggest thing is the larger screen and in some cases more internal memory. What's more pleasant, reading on your 4.3 screen or on a 7, 8, 10+" screen?

My interest in tablets has grown since i'm going overseas for a few weeks this summer. As well as I'm coaching my sons little league team, it'll be great for roster management/batting averages, scheduling etc.

Upvote 0
Reading is much better on a tablet than a phone. Same as web browsing. Basically, anything where you have more screen real estate is better.

As for the inexpensive tablets, we have plenty of them. You can get an Android tablet for $99 US. Of course, you get what you pay for. Some have sub-par screens, some have sub-par touch screens. Low memory. Outdated version of Android. etc.

You can even get a very nice tablet for less than $300 now, running Android: The Viewsonic G Tablet is $289 on Amazon; and it's only bad thing are the viewing angles are less than best.

As for who needs them? Anyone who needs connectivity and mobility.

Upvote 0
For me I am seriously looking into tablets for a couple reasons.

1. The size

2. I don't have a smartphone and not interested in a smartphone because I like to talk on the phone while looking up something (like a bible verse or email or something). Granted a blue tooth would allow me to do this on a smartphone but I would prefer different tools.

3. I don't have to have a plan with some of the tablets

4. I can watch movies, play games, etc on plane rides and the like and it is more portable and longer lasting then my laptop

5. I can use it for viewing documents, reading, etc so I can put things on to have a portable office type of thing plus able to take notes quicker then a small keyboard

These are just some of my reasons.

Upvote 0
Once you use a tablet, it's hard to go back to a netbook or a notebook, for specific uses. For example I take my 3G iPad 2 to Fry's to look at the weekly ads, and then look up reviews for stuff on sale, compare prices, etc. Hard to do on a smaller screen, even on my Evo / Epic. Hard to take a netbook and try holding it single handed while looking up stuff. Tablets are pretty awesome. I can't wait to get an Android tablet.

Upvote 0
You just look cooler with one, I get tons of awes when I go out with my Xoom. The portability to me is far greater with a tab than a laptop. Decent memory, fast processor, games, and other multimedia. Like the previous, anything with a bigger screen estate is good. Only bad thing I can say about having a tablet, is you'll often be asked if its an ipad ..

Upvote 0
Tablets and smartphones are both useful, but have different strengths. My smartphone is my primary mobile phone, mp3 player and map system (3G) and my backup ereader, enewspaper, email and web browsing system while traveling.

My 7" tablet (wifi only) is my primary ereader, and enewspaper. I also use it as a portable media and gaming device. When traveling, I run my business from it using it for email and web.

While the smart phone can do many of the same things, the bigger screen is better for reading, gaming, email and web browsing. I only use the smartphone for these when my table is not available.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones