• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Who is NOT having issues?

rubejb

Android Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2010
I currently have an Optimus V and I love the thing. However, the larger screen of the Triumph as well as the faster processor pushed me to upgrade.

I haven't received the Triumph yet, but I'm a little worried since there seems to be so many posts about issues people are having.

However, I also realize that you hear more feedback when things go wrong than when things are working fine.

So my question: Who here has phones that work perfectly or near-perfectly? And if you're coming from the Optimus, was it a good choice to upgrade?

Edit: Also, how is the video recording? I've taken a few clips with the Optimus and the video is fairly choppy. Is it the same with the Triumph? I realize it's a higher resolution but that doesn't mean it's going to be smoother.

Thanks.

I'm not having any issues, other than the weaker antennae. I upgraded from the Optimus V because I wanted the bigger screen, HDMI out, a better processor and Flash support. So far it's done everything I've wanted it to do.

That being said, the two main weaknesses of this phone - antennae and battery consumption - are legitimate reasons to question this phone. In my house, the OV worked well on 3G. The MT goes in and out of having a signal and I do drop calls. But I don't really make calls from my house with this phone. I use it on the road and it works fine.

The battery is an issue if you don't have a place to charge it. A USB charger in the car eliminates that for me and, at home when I'm not using it all the time, I've learned to put it in Airplane mode so it doesn't suck the battery. Before I would be able to get about eight hours of medium usage out of the phone. Now I can go two days on medium usage by turning off all the antennaes when I'm not using them. Of course, I don't get calls or notifications either. But that's not much of a problem for me.

Lastly, I've shot video in two different modes (Hi and Hi Youtube) and I think the videos is pretty clean for a phone camera. The OV was choppier but I like this. I agree with those who say you can use this in a pinch but it won't replace a regular camera.

So I'm happy with my Triumph. But I also know that this first batch that went out to stores was filled with defectives, too. I hope your works as well as mine when you get it.

Upvote 0
I had my first Triumph for about a week when the autofocus went out on the camera and I swapped it out yesterday for a new one. So far, so good and no issues with this one. I love the phone and even if I have to swap a few times to get one of the good batch models, it is definitely worth it.

Upvote 0
That being said, if I had a phone I was happy with I would wait a month or two and hope some of these issues are corrected and they get better at quality control.

Keep in mind that Best Buy (if you got it there) only accepts returns and exchanges 30 days after purchase date unless you have the protection plan, so if you are outside that window you'd have to send it to Motorola or use your VM phone insurance to get a replacement.

Upvote 0
I got the phone a week ago and no issues. Battery life is poor, but any phone with these specs will have a poor battery life.

There is already work going on getting a customer recovery built, once that happens we get custom ROM's, and I suspect more than a few of the issues people have with the device (poor GPS, wifi tether, radio signal) wil be addressed with those.

I wouldn't fault anyone for waiting until custom ROMS are available before picking one up. I suspect the hardware of the phone will make a great base for custom ROMS

Upvote 0
Keep in mind that Best Buy (if you got it there) only accepts returns and exchanges 30 days after purchase date unless you have the protection plan, so if you are outside that window you'd have to send it to Motorola or use your VM phone insurance to get a replacement.

I am not planning on returning my phone. The point I was trying to suggest to the OP is that if I had an Optimus V I was happy with, I would stick with it another month before picking up the Triumph. That way he would hopefully reduce his chances of getting a bad one.

However, I am looking for any sign of problems with my Triumph and will exchange it if I find any so I am not stuck with a flawed phone after the 30 days are up.

Upvote 0
I have been playing with my new Moto Triumph pretty much non-stop since I bought it. The battery life definately is not up to snuff in my humble opinion, but with Juice Defender, Autokiller and Droidwall installed on my phone it seems to be manageable. I can get through an entire day on one charge.

Other then that, I couldn't be happier with it! Keep in mind that I have never owned a smartphone before so I don't have any benchmark comparisons to draw upon, but this phone has already made my life a whole lot easier and a whole lot more fun on-the-go!

Upvote 0
I am very happy with my Triumph. Got it on 7/19...so far, I have had none of the quality control issues mentioned by many people. No light bleeding, no screen flicker, LED works exactly as designed, GPS is fine, camera is the best I've had on a phone (I even took a video last weekend, outdoors at dusk...came out good enough to post on my Facebook page). So, absolutely no complaints from me about my phone's quality.

Like everyone else, my battery life could be better...but I had the exact same issue with my Optimus. I already have an extra charger at work and in my car, so it's rarely an issue for me....but, as soon as someone comes out with an extended life battery for it, I'm all over it!

Upvote 0
I haven't had the issues with mine. Initially thought the sensitivity of the touchscreen was subpar until 2nd layer protector was removed.

Bluish tint, yes, not really an issue. No light leak or other defects of that nature.

ONLY issues would have to be 3G reception for data use, ONCE power cycled to be able to receive data again. Other day VM CSR stated they were having signal issues and reset my connection. MT was fine afterwards, usual speeds that everyone experiences.

I'll have to give the GPS another try but seemed to work fine for me, I haven't been long distance driving that requires using it for more than 30-45 minutes.

Compared to my Dinc, most everything about the phone is not on par BUT for the monthly price and bigger screen, acceptable.

Signal and speed wise, well that's an apple vs orange situation BUT acceptable when I do have good strong signal.

I do have to say, mostly unbloated, the MT is faster than the HTC Dinc in most cases.

Purchased 7/19 from BB

I did notice the phone heats up when charging to over 100F, on a black car seat that was under the sun for most of the day. Held it against the vent and temp dropped dramatically to 88.7F and never crept back up while charging with screen locked and off.

Upvote 0
Since I found the WiFi is not messed up on the phone, everything is good. My router won't recognize the phone is there and won't let it into the router loop. I went to a WiFi spot and the phone worked like a champ. GPS is slow as others have said but I don't use it much as I have 4 other GPSs. Screen is very good with no flicker or light peeping through anywhere. I put a Zagg screen protector on at BB. Battery life is not as good as my old Optimus V, but I have a car charger for it that went with the OV so I can charge it up when needed.

So far so good.

Upvote 0
Reading of marx2k experience, I just wanted to mention a couple things. I moved my Sprint phone number over to VM for my Optimus V early this year. It took about 4 hours, so clearly mine was smoother than Marx's.

What I really want to mention ... when I purchased the Triumph, I had no idea what I was in for with regard to activating it, but I found the "Phone Swap" in my Optimus V website account, performed it using the Triumph's MEID, and the Triumph was fully functional in 5 minutes (on my own, correct phone number), the Optimus V immediately lost it's data/voice services. For all the things that Virgin kind of falls down at, the account based "phone swap" is one that worked perfectly (for me), a really great experience there.

It also dawned on me that if, at any point in the next 30 days, the Triumph just wasn't working, that I would simply charge up the Optimus V, Phone Swap back to the V, and return the Triumph.

Upvote 0
I should give an update from yesterday. Today so far 2 random reboots. Once while swiping to unlock, once while sitting idle connected via USB to laptop.
I'd say that you have are some nefarious app or have a lemon, as I've never had mine reboot unless I initiated it.

Did almost think that I had a problem yesterday with suddenly high batt drainage(10% in ~1h, I can get almost as good batt life on mine now as the OV if I primarily run WiFi for data), but upon checking batt usage it turned out to be a rogue app. The app in question is Star Chart which was Amazon's free app of the day yesterday, so I nabbed it and tried it out but apparently backing out didn't signal it to quit, so it was busily doing something for that hour accounting for 79% of battery usage.

Upvote 0
Only "issues" here are minor....

Weaker anteanna (impacts bluetooth & 3g both)
Slow GPS Lock (possilby anteanna related?)
Network drops - shows 3g, but not responsive (Network? Phone? Toggle airplane mode to fix)
Weak Speaker (for both Speaker Phone and Netflix)

That said - those are tradeoff's that many will be willing to make for the ~$60/month savings that this phone offers in comparison to some of the major networks.

For myself - I'm still undecided on my long term plan...
I've been long spoiled by Verizon's network.
Over the next few months I'll either decide to step down to VM, or up to a 4g phone (and the implied higher costs).

That said - I think that this is the best phone out there for VM, and probably for prepaid in general.

Upvote 0
Only "issues" here are minor....

Weaker anteanna (impacts bluetooth & 3g both)
Slow GPS Lock (possilby anteanna related?)
Network drops - shows 3g, but not responsive (Network? Phone? Toggle airplane mode to fix)
Weak Speaker (for both Speaker Phone and Netflix)

That said - those are tradeoff's that many will be willing to make for the ~$60/month savings that this phone offers in comparison to some of the major networks.

For myself - I'm still undecided on my long term plan...
I've been long spoiled by Verizon's network.
Over the next few months I'll either decide to step down to VM, or up to a 4g phone (and the implied higher costs).

That said - I think that this is the best phone out there for VM, and probably for prepaid in general.
Yeah, IF Verizon had a SANE plan I'd be back in a second. Don't really care about 4G as I simply just don't use much data on a phone, but I WOULD appreciate VASTLY superior coverage(to anyone else to boot) and roaming in Canada(plus no surcharge unless they changed that in the last few years).

I don't have any 3G problems other than coverage here has always been godawful, usually getting 56k dialup rates IF that. I HAVE had it drop down to 1xRTT rates when I went to what were pretty much already marginal coverage areas even for the OV(which still got 3G sometimes), but never had it just flake out altogether.

Upvote 0
So my question: Who here has phones that work perfectly or near-perfectly? And if you're coming from the Optimus, was it a good choice to upgrade?

Edit: Also, how is the video recording? I've taken a few clips with the Optimus and the video is fairly choppy. Is it the same with the Triumph? I realize it's a higher resolution but that doesn't mean it's going to be smoother.

Thanks.

Mine also works fine. I don't think you should worry. There are bad batches of phones with every new phone release. But there are plenty that work just fine too. Most likely the majority.

The GPS is a little pokey, but not nearly as much as when I first got it. Either it was something related to VM or it just had to be used awhile. At first I couldn't hardly get a lock even in a car, much less somewhere inside. Now I have no problem getting a lock in my living room. It still takes a minute or sometimes two, which is longer than I would like. But I can live with it. It's not a dealbreaker, especially for something I do not use daily.

And yeah, the battery life isn't the greatest, but I don't think any Android phone is really. I already have a car adapter that has served me well and I will wait for some extended batteries to come out.

I really don't have any other issues. No light leaking, screen flicker or any of that other stuff. Sounds fine. Looks Fine. Can talk on it fine. It's a great phone. I really do love mine. So happy I got it.

As for choppy video, I haven't shot any video yet really. Waiting for a class 10 card before I try. And that might be why you see choppy video on your OV. It all depends on what class of MicroSD card you are using. The ones that come in the box with the phones usually aren't too good.

Reactions: rubejb
Upvote 0
Received my phone in the mail on Friday and I've been using it all weekend without any major issues.

Switching my service over from the Optimus to the Triumph was extremely easy.

I love the phone in comparison. The bigger screen, faster processor and larger appspace is great.

I don't use GPS much, but when I tested it a couple of times it worked fine.

I had a very weak signal at my house with the Optimus, so I was a bit worried that the Triumph would get no service since people said their reception decreased with it. But I seem to get the same signal with the Triumph.

The screen does seem to have some very slight response issues, and although people have said removing the secondary screen protector has helped, I'm a bit too cautious and am going to wait to rip it off. Even though I'd love to since I prefer the feel of actual glass.

And I notice a slight amount of light leaking out of the bottom sides of the touch buttons, but if this is what people are complaining about, then they're being very picky. I do realize theirs may have worse leakage.

I have a feeling I'll be sticking with this phone for a long time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones