• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Why can I never be satisfied...

flyinjoe13

Android Enthusiast
May 18, 2010
Here I have this wonderful little phone that i've rooted and removed all of the bloatware that LG\Verizon provided. Thanks to the good people here, i've learned to move apps around between the /data and /system folders so that I can max out my storage space to install any apps I may want. The thing purrs like a kitten performance wise with no real lag to speak of. I boot up with 82mb of memory free so I have plenty of memory for running apps. I have 124mb of internal memory available for installing apps because I moved a ton of the apps I downloaded to the /system folder since I opened up so much space by removing the LG\Verizon bloatware. By all accounts I get great battery life compared to most people based on what I read on these forums.

And what do I want to do? I want to mess with the darn thing constantly instead of being satisfied with what I got.

I keep trying different ROMS, different launchers, different browsers, different themes, etc. and in the end I get the best overall performance using my rooted, custom V8 ROM with the bloatware removed and apps moved around.

And you know what, I couldn't be happier that i'm never satisfied. Playing around with this little phone is just plain old fashion fun. Takes me back to when I was younger and home computers were just starting to gain momentum and I used to do the same thing with PC's. Thankfully, I haven't broken this one yet because I sure did break a lot of PC's back then learning how they worked internally, learning DOS, Windows 3.1, etc. I remember my first memory upgrade was an 8mb upgrade that cost $400 back then which is comical for how much you pay for memory these days and how much you get. I remember playing Earl Weaver Baseball off of the old 5 1/4" floppy disks and thought it was amazing. Now I can play full 3D games on a little phone. How long have I been fooling with this stuff?

No real purpose to this thread. Just kind of had a revelation about how much i'm enjoying my phone and how much of an old techie nerd I really am.

I'm the same way, I think it's pretty common once you start messing with things and seeing the improvement, you can't help thinking there might be one other little trick out there that can improve your phone just a little bit more. It's pretty entertaining and challenging to keep flashing different things and get it all working right and optimize the performance of it all, etc. So you're not alone. It gets addicting.

Upvote 0
Count this as another "Me Too!" In fact, Joe, everything you posted could have been written by me as well. My first computer was and Atari 400. It had a membrane keyboard, Atari Basic came on a cartridge as did games etc. If you programmed anything in, you had to save it to cassette tape. Took forever to load one back in that way too. I was so glad when they finally came out with floppy drives for it. The thing came with a whopping 16KB of memory. For about $100, I got a module to expand the memory. Opened her up, cut some traces, soldered in some jumber wires and voila - 48 KB of memory OOOOOO !!!

Speaking of 5 1/4" floppies, remember the single sided and dual sided disks? I thought it was so cool that you could put a notch on the opposite side of a single sided floppy with a paper punch and double your capacity.. of course, I had to flip the disks over since the drive was single sided as well! :rolleyes:

Sure have seen a lot of changes in the computer world since those days. Thanks for your post, Joe - it brought back some fond memories!

Upvote 0
mind sharing your custom rom, I wouldn't mind trying it

It's not really a ROM I made. It's nothing more than the stock V8 ROM rooted and then gutted out from all the bloatware (or what I consider bloatware). Then I moved some market apps that I know I will always use to the /system folder so that I could max out my internal storage space. I started to do all of this because I could never get Velocity or Raptor to run right. I had memory\performance issues with FC's and laggy performance, apps2sd never worked (although I think it's my sdcard's fault) so I was looking for a way to get the most app space out of the stock ROM since it performed better than Velocity or Raptor on my phone.

I would gladly share it with you, but I don't know how to take a ClockworkMod backup and make it into something other people could install. I asked a few weeks back if anyone knew how to do it and no one responded. I'd still be willing to share if someone could tell me how to make an installable .zip file out of my current ROM. I'd have to removed some paid apps and maybe put back a few I removed that other people use, but i'd be happy to do it.

To be honest, what I did can be done by anyone here on their own using apps you can get in the market. I rooted with Universal Androot. I then removed all the junk from LG\Verizon with Titanium backup. And I removed a ton of stuff to. Facebook, Twitter, all the live wallpapers, thinkfree office, all the calendars, standard email, etc. Then I used Linda File Manager to make backups of my .apk files from the Market, uninstalled them and then used the Terminal to reinstall them into the /system folder. Then I used ROM Manager to boot into recovery and clear my dalvik and partition cache just to be safe. Then I installed Zeam Laucnher and ADW.Launcher (I like both and switch between them constantly). The end result. I have a phone that boots with 82mb available memory according to two different memory widgets, I have 124mb of internal memory still available for apps (could be as high as 127mb if I removed the custom launchers) and the phone runs smooth as butter when switching between home screens or scrolling thorugh my app list.

Upvote 0
Count this as another "Me Too!" In fact, Joe, everything you posted could have been written by me as well. My first computer was and Atari 400. It had a membrane keyboard, Atari Basic came on a cartridge as did games etc. If you programmed anything in, you had to save it to cassette tape. Took forever to load one back in that way too. I was so glad when they finally came out with floppy drives for it. The thing came with a whopping 16KB of memory. For about $100, I got a module to expand the memory. Opened her up, cut some traces, soldered in some jumber wires and voila - 48 KB of memory OOOOOO !!!

Speaking of 5 1/4" floppies, remember the single sided and dual sided disks? I thought it was so cool that you could put a notch on the opposite side of a single sided floppy with a paper punch and double your capacity.. of course, I had to flip the disks over since the drive was single sided as well! :rolleyes:

Sure have seen a lot of changes in the computer world since those days. Thanks for your post, Joe - it brought back some fond memories!

I do remember the dual sided and like you I only had a single sided drive at first.

I never had an Atari 400. My first computer was either a Tandy or a Texas Instruments. I can't remember which one came first because that goes back way too many years. I do remember the first flight simulator I played (i'm a big flight sim guy). The graphics were nothing more than green dashes to make up the plane and runways shapes if I remember correctly. Back then, that was considered amazing to have green dashes make up the graphics. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones