• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why cannot I move some applications to SD card

diaakhalil

Lurker
Jun 19, 2011
Dear All,
I have bought an HTC Wildfire s which has Android 2.3... after installing some applications it started to tell me that I'm running out of space on the phone memory and I need to move some applications to the SD card. I installed some applications for this cause but all of them did not move most of the applications on the phone memory... I tried to find some info about this on the forums but they are all for Android 2.2...
Any help please...
Thank you in advance...

PS: I'm a new user for Android...

There is a way to move more apps to the sd card without rooting ....

If you've got 2.2 or higher You can change the default location to the SD card if you want to. And, once that is changed you can move even more apps to the SD card, even though they were installed to internal memory.

If you want to move more apps to the SD card, you'll need to have the Android SDK installed. How-To Install Android SDK On Windows, Mac and Linux

Then on your phone go to settings>applications>development and enable USB Debugging. Plug your phone into the PC using the USB cable.

open a command prompt on your PC (start>run type "cmd" press ENTER)

Change directory to the android-sdk-windows\tools folder

At the prompt type
Code:
adb devices
and you should see your phone listed as a serial number.

type
Code:
adb shell pm setInstallLocation 2

Done.

Now the default location to install apps is the SD card. And, some apps that you couldn't move to the SD card will now be able to be moved. Keep in mind Widgets and services should always be installed to the phone and not the SD card, so if you follow the steps above and you install a widget afterwards, you will need to go to settings>applications>manage applications and manually move it to the phone. If you want to set the default install location back to the phone, you simply repeat the process but use
Code:
adb shell setInstallLocation 0

Upvote 0
If you have an easy way to root, (i.e. z4root or gingerbreak) then you can buy Titanium Pro for about $5 and it can easily move almost all apps to the card. You can also remove or freeze bloatware. If it is not large it is often preferable to just freeze them so that you can easily make your phone not rooted if there is ever a problem and you need to get service. Rooting and removing bloat will void your warranty.

Upvote 0
Do You know anyone who has a LGOptimus "V" that has used this method. This seems like a very,very good way to move more apps to the SD card without rooting. Does this work on the Bloatware as well?

I don't know anyone who owns and Optimus V ... I've never even seen one, however, it's a basic Android system command ans should work for all Android phones 2.2 and higher.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones