• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why is Android so behind in storage capacity?

WHY do phone makers think that we want ALL our photos (and then music, etc) displayed ALL the time? Does anyone's PC search through ALL the folders, directories, drives, etc and try and showw ALL the photos at the same time?
Why do Android users think that they have to stick with the preloaded apps? Do you also complain that Notepad is a poor word processor? That Paint isn't a great photo editor?

Yeah, but why would Apple put in loads of internal memory into the iPhone if it was better just to have an external memory card slot?
Why would Apple put in a fixed battery if it was better to have a replaceable battery? Oh wait...

As much as i love apple for the ipod i feel like their the cause of complaints like this. I mean whats the difference between hearing a song from an ipod, or some cheap metro phone? I mean the interface might be different or whatever but the music is still the same. I mean is it really that big of a deal?
It's a subjective matter. For me an iPod is better suited for my car because my head unit has a built-in iPod interface (and my iPod holds 80GBs). Different people will have different reasons. Some will strongly prefer Apple's interface. For others, it doesn't matter what their music is stored on. Depends on who you talk to.

Damn. Why do people think the world have to revolve around their particular needs and not the rest of the population?
Excellent question. Forum site likes this are chock full of people stuck in their own perspective on how things "obviously should be".
I don't understand why people take things so personally on here.
Welcome to the internets. Home of fanboys and others who identify themselves based on the brands they buy. Much like the real world, really.

Upvote 0
Android does have multimedia and it doesn't really matter if the memory holding the media is onboard or external. The only things the iPhone has that are 'better' are the 3d games and soon that's going to change.

How is Android going to catch up with the iPhone's 3d games (or even 2d games) without more internal memory or the ability to install to external? In the two months I owned an iPhone I downloaded over 2 gigs worth in apps. Myst on the iPhone alone is a 1.5 gig install. Half of the top iPhone games are over 10 meg each (Top20 iPhone Games Analysis 08/2009).

CURRENT Android apps don't need more than the few hundred meg they have to work with. But with the existing limitations, they will not be able to compete against the iPhone in terms of graphics/sound quality.

I agree, the limitation doesn't really matter when it comes to multimedia, or even non-game apps (though I'd be willing to bet that the average non-game iPhone app is larger than the average non-game Android app; especially the professionally designed apps). But I don't see Android ever catching up to the iPhone in gaming without unrestricting the external memory.

Upvote 0
How is Android going to catch up with the iPhone's 3d games (or even 2d games) without more internal memory or the ability to install to external? In the two months I owned an iPhone I downloaded over 2 gigs worth in apps. Myst on the iPhone alone is a 1.5 gig install. Half of the top iPhone games are over 10 meg each (Top20 iPhone Games Analysis 08/2009).

CURRENT Android apps don't need more than the few hundred meg they have to work with. But with the existing limitations, they will not be able to compete against the iPhone in terms of graphics/sound quality.

I agree, the limitation doesn't really matter when it comes to multimedia, or even non-game apps (though I'd be willing to bet that the average non-game iPhone app is larger than the average non-game Android app; especially the professionally designed apps). But I don't see Android ever catching up to the iPhone in gaming without unrestricting the external memory.

Apps on Android do have the ability to store data on the SD card. True, at the moment, by default, entire apps can't be installed on there yet(with rooting and utilities like apps2sd they can be)but many apps store data on the SD card. So high detail 3d games are certainly possible.

As more devs jump onboard, Android will adapt accordingly, that can be guaranteed. Google isn't going to sit by and not take advantage of the gaming market.

Upvote 0
Don't the yet to be released Nexus One and the Xperia X10 both have 1gig of internal storage now, in addition to the rom and ram I mean. If so, then this means they're heading in the right direction? I'm a newb here and don't yet own an android (I own an iphone, I know I know...) because I'm waiting for the X10 to release so I can jump all over it.

My friend has an Android device and I've noticed the same game on my iphone will blow away the identical game on his device...for example NFL 2010 by gameloft is nowhere close in terms of graphics and playability. The game is something well over 100megs installed and I was wondering if storage limitations are the reason.

I'm not a huge gamer, but I love my poker, football and golf simulations and I hope the android can catch up.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones