• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help why is my picture a bigger file size in my camera than in google photos?

A

Android Question

Hey guys I have a Nexus 6p and when i look at pictures in my camera app, pictures are around 3-4 mb while in the google photos app those same pictures are 1-2 mb. I was wondering why that happens because i thought the free unlimited option limits at around 18 megapixels even though my nexus has a 12.3 mexapixel camera. Was also wondering if there was a way to view these full resolution pictures without having to use the camera app. Any response is greatly appreciated!!

Google photos offers 2 options for backing up your photos.... there is 15GB of free storage, which will save your photos at the same resolution as your camera... if you run out of space you can buy extra storage for a monthly fee https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2375123?hl=en

Alternatively they will offer free unlimited storage for your photos.. the only downside is that you agree to let them compress the images / reduce the resolution.

Now... looking at the blurb from Google it says https://support.google.com/photos/answer/6220791?hl=en

High quality
  • Unlimited free storage.
  • Regular cameras: Recommended for phones or point-and-shoot cameras that are 16 megapixels (MP) or less.
  • Uses: Good for typical printing and sharing.
  • Size: Saves high-quality photos and videos while reducing size.

I put the red in.... it doesn't actually say that it won't downsize or do other stuff to the images.... I think they are only using the 16MP thing as a general rule of thumb... assuming that if you are above that you definately don't want them to do anything with your images... or that you'll want to pay for the extra storage plans

Which should you pick? well that probably depends on you, what you need, and what sort of pictures you take.

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0
I'd go further than "it doesn't actually say that it won't downsize or do other stuff to the images": "while reducing size" can only mean that they are either compressing, reducing resolution or both. As for what it does to the image they've made no meaningful statement: "high quality" can mean anything you want, and "Good for typical printing and sharing" doesn't set the bar very high.

All I can suggest is have a look at some of the pictures they've stored that way, decide for yourself whether they are good enough (copy then and the original to a computer and compare, for example), then as Andy says choose whatever fits your needs best.

Reactions: psionandy
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones