• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why is there little to no avertisements for the X compared to fascinate

I agree. The Eris is a Droid, the Inc is too....the Fascinate definitely could be one.

I heard there is a new HTC phone coming soon to Verizon that might get the Droid name....
id say its unlikely to be soon. the droid pro isnt anything special. just a gsm droid 2. so im not sure if there will be anything better than a droid incred this year

Upvote 0
When the Dinc came out it had a hard time staying in stock because the demand was good and Samsung was slow to come with the AMOLED screens. Something that stayed an issue almost until HTC decided to use a different type of screen.

The HTC EVO had a slight and temporary backorder when it was first released due to better than expected sales. Also bear in mind that Sprint has a history of underestimating demand when it comes to higher end items so this wasn't a big shock.

The Droid X has been out for over two full months. Not a single store has had any in stock since launch. None of the components are "hard to come by". This phone simply has such a large following that supply can't meet demand. I can't remember a telephone ever having such an impact in that regard. Even the original iPhone (which was completely in a league of its own when it was released) was never out of stock for more than a few days at a time.

Something that I think is unique to the X is the demographic. Most phones tend to adhere to a certain type of user. The X is the first phone that crosses those lines unabashedly and is available to the largest phone market in the country.

Honestly, I hope that Verizon has a hard time stocking it through the end of the year. I will tell you now that if that happens then the end of life will definitely not be March. They would never leave money on the table like that. For crying out loud they still have the Ally available and that phone has never been profitable (on a large scale). The longer the lead time exists=the more people own this phone=longterm software and hardware support.

Just my two cents.

Upvote 0
There are a couple of things at play here....

1st - If this situation is like most retail oriented things I would bet that Samsung pays a certain amount of money to Verizon to advertise their phones. Since this is a new phone Samsung is throwing a few more dollars at it than in general.

2nd - If the above holds true then Motorola with a slew of backorders is not under as much pressure to advertise their product. Think about it. If you were a restaurant with the best chilidog in town that had people everyday lining up out the doors and down the street would you pay an arm and a leg to advertise more? You cant support the customer base you have now. Of course you advertise a little to keep the word out, but there is no need to run balls to the wall advertisements to get more customers that you cant help.

That being said, I think the X is relying more on word of mouth and viral marketing vs old fashioned advertise the hell out of it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones