• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Why root?

I bet you look at the Froyo RUU guide and think "sheesh, I have to have HTC Sync, drivers and the correct RUU? I don't need it!".

That's EXACTLY what I think! lol!

But, the guide assumes everyone is starting from scratch, and I think I already have my phone set up. I've had HTC Sync running between my phone and PC, and the drivers package (I think) is the same package that I installed in order to take screen grabs without rooting (the console that shows phone activity in real time code).

Probably only need to create a Goldcard and download the ROM package.......

Upvote 0
So, rooting just sets up your phone with superuser access so you can flash ROMS.... Now we're making progress.....!

Personally, it's not the actual rooting and flashing that worries me (well, it does a little!)

My main worry is.....well, the uncertainy about lots of small incidental things that so far I haven't been able to confirm. For example, what can I do to keep my old text messages, how do I safeguard my network connection settings and numbers? What options do I have to back up and restore, and what data is backed up? Will the new ROM let me set up my Gmail account again for market purchases? Can I still get talk plan inclusive Orange Maps and Sat Nav for free? You see what I mean? Lots of small details that generally don't get discussed in root/ROM threads.

Right now I have a great phone on Orange and everything works. I hate the Orange demos, but the talk plan is perfect. I don't want to risk messing it up until I know that I can restore things on the new ROM, and have it clear in my mind how I would do it after flashing.

Upvote 0
So, rooting just sets up your phone with superuser access so you can flash ROMS.... Now we're making progress.....!

Well all you need really is a custom recovery to flash custom roms. It wipes over the existing rom so any Super User access there is irrelevant.

However, you sort of need to go through the rooting process to get the custom recovery. You can root your current rom with unrevoked 3.21, which will give you SU on the rom you have(as well as the custom recovery)

what can I do to keep my old text messages

You can use mybackup to backup texts, call logs etc. no need for root.
Although if you root using unrevoked, it roots your existing rom, so could titanium backup.

Also, once you get root access, you can use NANDROID backup from custom recovery, take a 100% snapshot of your existing rom and can restore it exactly as is if anything went wrong.

how do I safeguard my network connection settings and numbers?.

Titanium will back up all this. Thing with titanium is though, some system settings are not compatible with other roms so you have to be careful what you restore.

What options do I have to back up and restore, and what data is backed up?

Titanium for apps, settings and data (root required)
Mybackup for sms, call logs, contacts etc (no root)
Nandroid for snapshot (root)

Will the new ROM let me set up my Gmail account again for market purchases?

titanium will restore market links too.

Reactions: Eris Ed
Upvote 0
It was mentioned briefly above, but what are the benefits in terms of phone storage? I guess you can 'fool' the phone into using an SD card partition as phone storage, are there any hazards/problems with that? For example, can widgets run from SD or do they fail unless in phone memory? Storage space would be the biggest reason to root, assuming there's a benefit to be had.

I've found that Widgets don't work if the app is stored on SD card. The widget will show up until you reboot your phone - then they're gone. Doesn't matter whether Rooted or not.

Titanium backup allows you move a lot of apps back and forth between internal and external storage. Quite handy for apps that you don't use often but don't wanna have them take up a lot of space on internal memory. This app, somehow, allows you to move apps that you couldn't if you were unrooted. Pretty cool.

Upvote 0
I've found that Widgets don't work if the app is stored on SD card. The widget will show up until you reboot your phone - then they're gone. Doesn't matter whether Rooted or not.

Titanium backup allows you move a lot of apps back and forth between internal and external storage. Quite handy for apps that you don't use often but don't wanna have them take up a lot of space on internal memory. This app, somehow, allows you to move apps that you couldn't if you were unrooted. Pretty cool.

The google froyo implementation, rooted or not this is true. But with root we have a2sd+ and this isn't a problem.

Upvote 0
Don't mean to stir up a hornets nest here but to me Root = an opportunity for a load of techie types to get hard, knowing that the majority of us have no idea what they are on about. This thread is a case in point. The OP posted a pretty straight forward question, to be greeted with a barrage of tech bollox and overclocking speeds (Or whatever they are) posted by tech dweebs.
I work with people like that. Very clever but no "nounce". Incredibly skilled in ONE thing. Fantastic programmers, but can't make a cup of coffee...
They cause confusion when asked for advice because they lack the social skills to interact properly and then in the midst of the confusion, snort, look down on you, sigh and then carry on talking bollox.
That's my experience of them anyway :D
To me, Root = unneccesary faffing with the phone. The only real advantage WAS App to SD but with Froyo comes the ability to do that now.
So you can get rid of the bloat ware.... have you actually seen how much of the memory it takes up? Hardly worth crying about is it. I could go on, but I've decided to place a tin hat on my head and wait for the inevitable barrage that is coming my way. Oh well, the price of having an opinion I suppose.
Can Geeks argue? Not sure lol :D

Upvote 0
Don't mean to stir up a hornets nest here but to me Root = an opportunity for a load of techie types to get hard, knowing that the majority of us have no idea what they are on about. This thread is a case in point. The OP posted a pretty straight forward question, to be greeted with a barrage of tech bollox and overclocking speeds (Or whatever they are) posted by tech dweebs.
I work with people like that. Very clever but no "nounce". Incredibly skilled in ONE thing. Fantastic programmers, but can't make a cup of coffee...
They cause confusion when asked for advice because they lack the social skills to interact properly and then in the midst of the confusion, snort, look down on you, sigh and then carry on talking bollox.
That's my experience of them anyway :D
To me, Root = unneccesary faffing with the phone. The only real advantage WAS App to SD but with Froyo comes the ability to do that now.
So you can get rid of the bloat ware.... have you actually seen how much of the memory it takes up? Hardly worth crying about is it. I could go on, but I've decided to place a tin hat on my head and wait for the inevitable barrage that is coming my way. Oh well, the price of having an opinion I suppose.
Can Geeks argue? Not sure lol :D

I work in IT support. It is my job to turn "tech bollox" into something that people can understand.

If anything I have said is confusing you I will happily explain further without looking down on you.

Also, i think it is only fair to point out that I make a f**king great cup of coffee

Reactions: Vicdude
Upvote 0
I've come across a few Android types since getting my Desire at the end of March...

1. The 'n00b'

Someone that has no idea what they're doing, asking relatively simple things that are in the manual or diving head first into something they don't understand and then crying when it goes wrong

2. The 'Android FanBoy'

Same as any other fan boy, they won't hear a bad things said about their favourite brand - in this case Android. I came across one recently in this very forum when someone was on about getting an iPhone 4 for free. I said I'd go for it and I was hit with a barage of abuse from a guy wondering why I'd bother coming on here if I just want to get an iPhone...when I've had a Desire from launch and love it. Some people...

3. The 'normal' guy

This is someone just like me who likes to muck about with their phone and get the most out of it without it being the be-all and end-all. I go between being rooted and not as the only real reason to root, IMO, is A2SD+.

Now, I've not used it BUT I do now as I'm running on the HD port and it needs an EXT partition to run. So I'm rooted again and very happy I've done so. Takes about 5 minutes and you're all done

4. The 'Forum Mod'

These are the guys who are either really nice or absolute arseholes. Flaming the n00bs for asking silly questions and generally being on a power trip or genuinely helping people understand the forum or the ideas behind certain subjects.

And my 2p on why root? Because you can then do what you want with the phone - from complete ROMs to a simple setting change. What you do is up to you. If your Desire does what it needs to then don't bother. If you're curious to see what the fuss is about the try it. Whatever you do, do it for the right reasons - not because everyone else does (Baaaa)

Reactions: Eris Ed
Upvote 0
3. The 'normal' guy

This is someone just like me who likes to muck about with their phone and get the most out of it without it being the be-all and end-all. I go between being rooted and not as the only real reason to root, IMO, is A2SD+.

Now, I've not used it BUT I do now as I'm running on the HD port and it needs an EXT partition to run. So I'm rooted again and very happy I've done so. Takes about 5 minutes and you're all done

Thank god for that I'm a "normal guy":)

Haven't a clue what the HD port is though:thinking:

Anyway, rooted my phone with relative ease and then downloaded a couple of FROYO type ROM's but had nothing but Force Close messages, so restored back to 3's standard firmware!

So now running perfectly STABLE and now I've heard the good news that Three are releasing FROYO tomorrow I am a happy "Normal Guy":):):):):):)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones