• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Why Upgrade To Stock Froyo If You Are Already Rooted?

I only rooted and installed a custom rom of 2.2 just 2 weeks ago, i was a little scared to do it earlier and thought it couldn't be long till the official release. I'm just glad i plucked up the courage and went for it. I have the leedroid rom and have no complaints at all, there were a few niggles at first but i managed to get round them. Going by the few problems the official Froyo has i'm glad i went for it in the end, and won't be installing the official rom anytime soon.

Upvote 0
I only rooted and installed a custom rom of 2.2 just 2 weeks ago, i was a little scared to do it earlier and thought it couldn't be long till the official release. I'm just glad i plucked up the courage and went for it. I have the leedroid rom and have no complaints at all, there were a few niggles at first but i managed to get round them. Going by the few problems the official Froyo has i'm glad i went for it in the end, and won't be installing the official rom anytime soon.

Wise move m8, i would stick with being rooted as you have the choice to get mod updates all the time.

Upvote 0
Assuming someone finds out how to - the current rooting methods don't work with the new bootloader I think

Yep, I stupidly realised this after I updated (rather poor of me!).

So I'll learn from experience and if the latest bootloader does manage to get root working with it I'll re-root.

Case in point though - one thing that's mentioned is if your phone needs repair under warranty you'll probably get it back with the latest bootloader. So hopefully someone can come up with a solution.

Upvote 0
I had a rooted desire prior to it developing a screen problem so off it went to get fixed. The phone was replaced and had Froyo on it when I got it back the other day......Coolio I thought, until I realised that I couldnt root the damn thing :(

Now my initial impressions with the new stock ROM is that it eats the battery like a MOFO. That is with ever battery muncher switched off as well!

I know it is still in the run in process and I wont see the full battery life till maybe next week or so, but still. On Eclair I could get nearly 2 days of use out of the box, on root (had different ROMs) I was getting nearly a week of use between charges on Official Froyo I reckon I'll be lucky to get near 2 days use.

Upvote 0
I had a rooted desire prior to it developing a screen problem so off it went to get fixed. The phone was replaced and had Froyo on it when I got it back the other day......Coolio I thought, until I realised that I couldnt root the damn thing :(

Now my initial impressions with the new stock ROM is that it eats the battery like a MOFO. That is with ever battery muncher switched off as well!

I know it is still in the run in process and I wont see the full battery life till maybe next week or so, but still. On Eclair I could get nearly 2 days of use out of the box, on root (had different ROMs) I was getting nearly a week of use between charges on Official Froyo I reckon I'll be lucky to get near 2 days use.

The devs over at xda & unrevoked are working on getting a crack going for it, if it is at all possible i am sure they will find one.

Upvote 0
Yeah I know.......Been working on it myself also but I dont really have the time to devote to it. It is annoying, I had a perfectly good rooted phone prior to developing a prob then they send me a brand new one with 2.2 as stock, you have to laugh :D

Fair play to HTC as its their tech an all, but I think they could be scoring an own goal with this practice. IF they are going to make phones for an Open Source community then why lock out the devs? Bloody Apple all over again!

Upvote 0
Yeah I know.......Been working on it myself also but I dont really have the time to devote to it. It is annoying, I had a perfectly good rooted phone prior to developing a prob then they send me a brand new one with 2.2 as stock, you have to laugh :D

Fair play to HTC as its their tech an all, but I think they could be scoring an own goal with this practice. IF they are going to make phones for an Open Source community then why lock out the devs? Bloody Apple all over again!

Yes m8 it is really a no no where open source is concerned, will make the more serious user plump for the nexus one

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones