• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why wasn't I prompted as to whether I want to restore GoogleBackup while factory reset.

a cooperator

Nov 11, 2014
Hi,
My cellphone specs are as follows:
Samsung Galaxy Prevail LTE. SM-G360P
Android version:4.4.4
However, when trying doing factory reset, I wasn't prompted to restore backups saved onto Google drive although there are some backup files.
When checking the Google Drive backups, I found backups for that device on the Google Drive, it is named with 'SM-G360P backup', when clicking on it, I see it elongated, and see ' App data, Device settings. When clicking on 'Data app', I go this screen shot.

However, I don't know how to restore those backups shown on the Google Drive associated with the gmail account for my sister's daughter to this phone to see if the backups could have the old deleted photos.
Must I uninstall the Gallery app, and reinstall it in order to be asked if I want to restore the backup saved on the Google Drive. I, myself, don't know how to restore any backups saved on Google Drive, exept for backups for WhatsApp saved on the Google Drive, I could restore them by uninstalling and resintalling the Whatsapp.

Then, what benefits are there from letting "backup my data and setting to Google server" be enabled in the settings.

Last edited:
I've occasionally enabled backup to Google for app settings, but never relied on it. Hence I don't actually have direct experience of it (in the days when I did a lot of resets, because I was playing with ROMs, I always trusted my own backup rather than the Google option).

I can tell you that it only works when reinstalling the app to the same device. I can also say that it will only work if you set the device up with the same Google account. Beyond that I've read other people say that it should reinstall app data, but have little experience of it myself so can't say what it will/will not do.

However, I really don't think a backup of the Gallery app is the solution to your problem. If you had Google Photos installed and set to back up, then that would have done it. But the photos are not "owned" by the Gallery app, and are not part of its app data. Gallery is just an image viewing app which can be used to view images on the device, and one of many such apps. So the Gallery app's data will include your preferences for that app, maybe how many images it thinks you have and stuff like that, but I really don't think it will include the original images. You can try, but I doubt it.

Upvote 0
So the Gallery app's data will include your preferences for that app, maybe how many images it thinks you have and stuff like that, but I really don't think it will include the original images. You can try, but I doubt it.
Thanks a lot,
But, I see that Gallery app can never be uninstalled at all since it isn't listed in any app manager via which I can uninstall an app.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones