• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wi-Fi ONLY!?

Hodr

Mar 27, 2009
So, I bought this phone to have access to G-Mail and Google Maps while backpacking through Europe (I live in, and have my account in the U.S.).

I need to keep light, so I am not bringing a laptop (not even an ultra portable type).

I would like to be able to stop at an internet cafe or free wireless hotspot and use the wi-fi to check my gmail and possibly use google maps for directions.

Is it possible to turn off any and all "Calling" features so I do not get dinged for any kind of international roaming or data roaming, while still being able to use the Wi-Fi?

So, I bought this phone to have access to G-Mail and Google Maps while backpacking through Europe (I live in, and have my account in the U.S.).

I need to keep light, so I am not bringing a laptop (not even an ultra portable type).

I would like to be able to stop at an internet cafe or free wireless hotspot and use the wi-fi to check my gmail and possibly use google maps for directions.

Is it possible to turn off any and all "Calling" features so I do not get dinged for any kind of international roaming or data roaming, while still being able to use the Wi-Fi?

I'd call customer care and let them know. From what I gather one guy tried to turn off data, but still racked up a giant roaming bill. If you contact customer care, they should be able to shut it off for you. I've seen an app or two in the marketplace boasting that it turns off data, but If I were you I wouldn't take the chance.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones