• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wi-Fi vs. 3G

mcknigs

Nov 18, 2009
This is a silly newbie question and this may not be the appropriate forum but I haven't found an answer by searching and I can't find a more appropriate forum.

What are the relative advantages of using 3G vs. Wi-Fi for transferring data? Which uses more batter power? Which is faster? I have access to Wi-Fi networks at home and at work. I'll take advantage of them if I understand the value of doing so.

-Scott

In a nut shell: WiFi = faster, no data charge from carrier.

I thought it might be something like that. So if your plan has unlimited data and the 3G is fast enough, there's not much advantage to Wi-Fi. Plus I've had some problems when I attach to Wi-Fi then go away from it and I can't get data until I tell it to go back to 3G.

Don't restrict your research to these forums. The pros and cons of each are pretty much the same regardless of phone, carrier, etc.

Yes, but this is the only forum to which I belong. :)

Actually I searched for an answer internet-wide but (interestingly) nothing I hit actually answered this question.

-Scott

Upvote 0
Well there allot of data services that require wifi to work the best on account of wasting bandwidth. If you have wifi use it. Like youtube video quality is degraded on purpose over 3G so you don't suck up too much bandwidth makes sense since a 2 minute video on full quality is like 20-30 mbs.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones