1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Wifi hotspot shortcut?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rockhammer, Sep 21, 2011.

1. rockhammer

rockhammer Newbie
    None

Sep 19, 2011
    In my "right most" of 5 home screens on the nexus S, there is a row of 5 buttons on top which seems to allow me to turn on/off/adjust these things: wifi, bluetooth, gps, sync, screen brightness.

Is there a way to add another such button or replace one of these button with another which will allow me to turn on/off wifi hotspot?

If I cannot customize these buttons, is there another way I can put a shortcut/bookmark in my home screens to turn wifi hotspot on/off?

Thanks.

Advertisement

2. heat57

heat57 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 29, 2010
    Consultant
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi, the row of buttons you refer to is a standard widget that comes with the Gingerbread OS. Unfortunately, you cannot extend it with other functions. You can, however, purchase power toggle widgets/apps in the market - I use 'Extended Controls', which is very stable and customisable. If you don't want to spend any money then you can enable/disable the functionality by going to 'Stettings' > 'Wireless & network settings > 'Tethering & portable hotspot and first setup your hotspot then turn it on/off by ticking the box next to 'Portable WiFi hotspot - done.

P.S. Be careful with system updates - I understand that the WiFi hotspot functionality only works with OS 2.3.4 and below. If you were to update to 2.3.5> I have read that people have lost WiFi hotspot functionality. Perhaps someone else can confirm that on here?

rockhammer and B2L like this.
  3. B2L

B2L Android Expert
    None

Jan 17, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I'm currently using 2.3.5 and I'm able to use WiFi hotspot functionality.

rockhammer and heat57 like this.
  4. rborelli

rborelli Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 22, 2011
    MA
    I am at 2.3.6 (OTA push) and my wireless hotspot works. It did erase my hotspot settings that I had set up and put in new settings (default I guess) but works fine.

Bob

5. heat57

heat57 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 29, 2010
    Consultant
    Birmingham, UK
    I can confirm this too. Updated yesterday toi 2.3.6 and WiFi hotspot does work - yes, you do need to adjust the password settings as it will use an auto-generated PW, or use the one suggested by the Nexus and enter it in the devices you want to hook up to it.

Tags: