• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help WiFi Sleep Policy

arcturussage

Jun 26, 2010
If you go to Settings->Wireless and Networks -> Wifi Settings and then hit the Menu button (the one with for squares on the bottom left) and go to advanced there is an option for Wi-fi Sleep Policy.

It looks like the default is to turn off wi-fi and switch to mobile data when the screen turns off?

Is this the optimal setting? Wouldn't you want it to never turn off (assuming you are in range of wifi)? That way any alerts etc. are all handled over wifi instead of data?

A couple of questions for clarification.

Senario 1: I'm at home with wifi. If I have my wifi set to turn off when the phone screen is off does that mean that 3G is automatically going to start when wifi disconnects or does it sleep until required?

Senario 2: I have wifi set to always connected. Does this have an adverse effect if I'm in an area that does not have wifi and wifi is turned on? The easy answer is to just turn off wifi when not near a hotspot but I'd rather not have to bother with turning it on and off.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Wow, dug up an old one!

1) Yes, 3G will come on when Wifi goes off. I'm sure there are programs (like maybe tasker) that would manage that better.

2) Yes, but it's minimal. You can use Y5 - Battery Saver to turn your wifi off/on automatically as you leave/enter saved wireless hotspots. Works very well and it's free.
https://market.android.com/details?id=pl.polidea.y5

A couple of questions for clarification.

Senario 1: I'm at home with wifi. If I have my wifi set to turn off when the phone screen is off does that mean that 3G is automatically going to start when wifi disconnects or does it sleep until required?

Senario 2: I have wifi set to always connected. Does this have an adverse effect if I'm in an area that does not have wifi and wifi is turned on? The easy answer is to just turn off wifi when not near a hotspot but I'd rather not have to bother with turning it on and off.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones