• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Wifi tethering? Barnacle?

Keeleon

Lurker
Feb 11, 2012
Just upgraded from an OG Droid to the 4, and this thing is slick. I'm also super excited that a root came out the same day! So now I'm trying to get tethering working, since I would often use my phone for my tablet at so on. Of course my phone now has better specs than my ASUS Transformer, except for the screen size >.<

Of course the Verizon Mobile hot spot is overriding the Barnacle tether. I figured I'd post here to see if any one has a fix for it. I tried the SQL editor that works on the Bionic, but either I don't know what I'm doing or the database is set up differently.

Yup, it worked like a charm. Now my problem is the same as my wife's D2 that I never worried about fixing. When I try to use Barnacle it wants me to use the mobile hotspot instead.

I tried to figure this whole thing out, but like I said the data values are different. Has anyone else rooted their D4 and gotten wifi tethering without paying the exorbitant addon fee?

Upvote 0
I got my D4 the day it came out and rooted it within 24 hours. I was an avid D1 user so I wanted to enable all the same capabilities (including wifi tethering).

I installed Barnacle and Wifi Tether 2.0 and 3.0 beta with no luck in securing an internet connection. Barnacle says it's running but doesn't actually connect you to the internet when connected to another device.

With WiFi Tether (both 2.0 and 3.0) the app starts and says it's active but then the mobile hotspot app pops and asks if you want to enable it. I tried freezing "mobile hotspot 1.0" in the with TiB but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I haven't had to do much with the tether apps since the custom roms for the D1 all came with tethering ability. Can anyone give some insight?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I have the verizon mobile hotspot app frozen but it still pops up in the notification bar when I turn on the Wifi tethering. How can I know for sure that its not being reported to Verizon?

EDIT: Now to make it even more confusing, sometimes that notification pops up, and sometimes it doesn't. What's going on lol?

Upvote 0
I would have no idea, I never even launched the Verizon Mobile Hotspot app on my D4 so I would guess it never got set up.
I totally doubt the info is being sent to Verizon, and if it was, I don't think they'd go out of their way to bust someone tethering on their rooted phone.

My guess is that some other app is spawning the notifications that may have been tied to the Verizon Mobile Hotspot. How much bloat have you frozen other than the Mobile Hotspot?

Upvote 0
I have the verizon mobile hotspot app frozen but it still pops up in the notification bar when I turn on the Wifi tethering. How can I know for sure that its not being reported to Verizon?

EDIT: Now to make it even more confusing, sometimes that notification pops up, and sometimes it doesn't. What's going on lol?

Sometimes it pops on mine too... idk why... it's just something that gets triggered when any program accesses the ability. It doesn't matter if VZW knows or not because you didn't agree to their tethering charge. The worst that could even happen is them calling you and saying "hey... stop" and even then I doubt they have any real say in the matter.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones